...black is black???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsegnit

Getting ready to blow a new skin on the old Cheby; decided on a "hot rod black". Not as simple as I first thought. Been investigating and there are as many opinions as there are stars in the night sky. My hope is that someone here has real world experience as to what holds up, i.e. against sun, rain, time, bird poop, etc???

Thanks, glad to be aboard...

Eastwood has single stage urethane hot rod black 1 gallon for $99.99. Never used it but it looks good in their pictures.

I'm with Sam. I've had John Deere Blitz black on my truck for about eight years. I almost never wash it stays out in the weather 24 hours a day. It holds up really well and it is difficult to scratch it. I'm always throwing tools on the fender. I don't know about the others, but this is hard to beat.

I'm fixin' to spray my '41 Chev panel with John Deere Blitz Black too! It's cheap & I've seen it on several cars lately & it looks really good!

BoB

tsegnit
Dupont DP90 is, in my opinion, is the best lasting, it's expoxy, nice satin black finish but it's not cheap?

DP90 is a PPG # for black epoxy, but it is expensive, and really has no UV inhibitors, as it is not designed for topcoat applications... it will "chalk out" eventually

just letting ya know, not trying to be a jerk or anything:eek:

We have been using SEM Hot Rod Black and love it. People at shows keep asking where we got it as they like the sheen.......not flat, not shiny, inbetween.

It comes in a kit for about $ 70 and has the paint, the hardener and the reducer. Makes a quart and a half of sprayable product and I shot my whole 27 with one kit. It has UV inhibitors, unlike DP90 primer and other paints, so it won't turn gray in the sun.

fmshow2.jpg

I've also learned to keep it waxed with Mequiars Tech 2.0 wax and it sheds dirt like a regular car that is waxed and it also protects it against gas drops that you might spill on the car when filling up.

My Sons rpu is painted with the same stuff.

fmshow4.jpg

Don

Well, like all bodywork, the straighter you make the body the better the paint will look, but this stuff really sprays easy and flows in nice. We shot both cars in the parking lot of our shop and I did get a few specs of dirt, but nothing too bad that I couldn't live with.

The Mequiars Tech 2.0 is the secret to keeping it nice. It doesn't make it shiny, just looks like the day you first sprayed it. I have spilled some gas drops on the body and water takes them right off.

Don

wax on for sure

we did an s10 in normal satin and it sucked to wash! after pollen or dust you basically had to buff the sucker out and almost wear out a sholder. I did a s10 that the oriley paint house mixed flattner into gloss black they sold and it looked good but same issue. then a buddy of mine told me he used wax ( it wasnt normal turtle) to keep his "sheeny" . Dons or deere Id take the wax advice or maybe a satin clear

Latest posts

Back