blacksmith...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreasklapp

so this is probably crazy, but my roomate grew up with a blacksmith, knows how to forge metal, knows a lot about it all. he's thinking about putting together a new forge (he moved out here from florida). i've been trying to talk him into it because i would love to get to learn some of that. anyone ever think about making their own engine parts? i mean if you've got somebody who can forge big pieces of billet steel and aluminum, and you've got the old parts and a list of specs and access to lathes and drill presses, it seems reasonable to think it could be done. i understand that after the time invested it would probably be cheaper just to go buy the parts, but my grandpa used to mill some of his own parts, and somebody had to make those parts somewhere. my roomate knows how/about heat treating and tempering, i can use measuring equipment and i've got a friend who grew up in a machine shop and has lots of equipment. seem like something worth trying? i feel like it would be a real good experience. also a nightmare, but, just wondering.

Blacksmithing and machine work are two different things. A forge is great for heating up metal. I think you are thinking of a foundry, which is a different thing.

if your going to build a forge check out ron riel he has a lot of good info on gas forges of all kinds to build easy and cheep from scrap at no cost

i don't know the difference between a forge and a foundry, basically what i'm considering is having the shape i need made out of solid metal, forged not cast, so it would be uniform consistency all the way through it, then fine tuning the shape with the proper machines. i only have the most basic understanding of either process, but i could figure it out with guidance from the right people (the blacksmith and the machinist.) all i really know about metal is what to look for in a good blade. so i would have to do a lot of research. my friend probably knowws a few good tricks to set up his shop, i'm just trying to convince him to get back into it. i've found some little plans involving vacuum motors for bellows.

Yes , a forge is just a furnace for heating iron to beat it into shape. forged engine parts are not really related to that at all. Forged parts start with a piece of the proper alloy steel ,which you or your friend would not be able to make. You would have to buy it,and then machine it. So the whole blacksmith thing doesnt have much to do with that at all.Blacksmithing is for making wrought iron stuff,like railings, horseshoes,etc.

I have worked as a machinist and tool maker for 26 years and I can tell you right now, You don't even have a clue about all of the tools and training you'll need to even make a good mess in the floor, let alone clean it up, smoke another one, have another brew and get back in the shop and go back to work on your hot rod while you are still young.

well, since i don't smoke or drink anything that would alter my state of mind, that's not going to be happening. you'd be surprised at what uneducated people can come up with after a little effort. don't forget einstein was a dropout, hendrix had no musical education (nor did paganini) somebody once set a landspeed record using homemade parts. don't insult me. maybe you don't daydream, that sounds like your problem. alloys are mixed metals, alloys have to be made somewhere, so knowing the right ratio of each metal you could easily make said alloy (if you grew up in a forge) blacksmiths make more than horseshoes and handrails, you ever seen a katana? folded till you're looking at millions of layers of metal. blacksmiths made those. i'm not saying it doesn't take skill to be a functioning machinist, but don't think for a second that i need to be high to think about things.

Okay... so you don't know something.... there are a lot of somethings I don't know. I am with UnkIan, learn.
BlackSmithing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdNY3ID4v7A
Here is some of mine....
ramzhead2.jpg

Last edited:
i say you make a machete -i mean a SERIOUS machete maybe like a golok and send it my way - i got some brush that needs clearing and i could use a good venting now and again.

something like this...
golok_biting.jpg

golok

its just a golok - asian machete
thats just a picture of one - you can pick them up though for relatively cheap or spend a small fortune on them - just depends what youre looking for
blades are usually about 12-14 in. though and they weigh about 2-3 lbs

just look for a golok or parang

pretty snazzy though

making your own parts

On one of the other forums I belong to, a guy made his own smelting pot and makes his own car parts by breaking up other dead parts,melting them down and pouring in a mold he made. Then machines to the correct tolerance. I'm looking for the post now. He also shows you how he made the forge and the molds, the parts he uses for making other parts.

EDIT: found it!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4662626-The-complete-guide-on-casting-parts

I have worked as a machinist and tool maker for 26 years and I can tell you right now, You don't even have a clue about all of the tools and training you'll need to even make a good mess in the floor, let alone clean it up, smoke another one, have another brew and get back in the shop and go back to work on your hot rod while you are still young.

I also worked as a machinist for 20 years, running all kinds of different manual machines, lathes, mills, grinders, horizontal boring mills, you name it I may have run it. I was forced to quit working because of health problems, anyhow to pass my time by I took up foundry work (primarlly aluminum, and can also melt iron) and built a small bench lathe after making all the wood patterns, then sand casting and file and hand scrap all the parts to fit, no it's nothing like a real lathe but it works very nicely, I also took up blacksmithing and bladesmithing, over the past 10 years I have honed in and my skills are good to say the least, I heat treat all my own blades, Temper them as well, and all that after normalizing it, If you work in a machine shop and learn even a little about different alloys then foundry and forge work should be very easy, after all, the blacksmith made all the tools to start making the machinery that built America, and if you do learn the art your capabilitey are as big as you wanna get with it

here is a picture of one of my pattern welded daggers, I started with 11 layers of steel 1/16th inch thick, 1 inch wide, and 8 inches long, I forge welded it into one solid billet and folded it several times, it has about 200 layers after finishing, heat treated it, tempered it, then etched it to reveal the layers. It has a wood grain to it, and many other patterns are easy to make by twisting and folding, the possibilities are endless. Oh yeah the blade is 8 inches long.
IMG_4310-1.jpg

04_28_08.jpg

Just saying you can do anything if you really want to. I make or build just about everything, all my foundry and forge equipment I built myself, I use propane to fuel both, also working on an oil burner as well.

Ron

If you get a minute, take a look at www.lindsaybks.com They have a lot of info on all the topics your referring to. They are a book seller, but have stuff you can't, or will have a real difficult time finding anywhere else. I've bought a number of books from them over the years.

Latest posts

Back