Blast from the past

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty rodder

BMS) -- BRISTOL, Tenn. (Monday, June 8, 2009)- At the June 13 Blast from the Past presented by Ferguson Enterprises, the man known simply as “Big Daddy” will be on hand in Thunder Valley to meet fans and reminisce about his time behind the wheel of drag racing’s most famous machines, his series of Swamp Rat racers.

“Big Daddy” Don Garlits, one of the most prolific drag racers of all time, will set up shop and display one of his famous Swamp Rat creations in the pits at Bristol Dragway. Garlits’ popularity reaches across the country and even to one of the most famous households in the world.

After his visit to last season’s Blast from the Past, Garlits and family were enjoying lunch at a sandwich shop in nearby Abingdon, Va. when then Sen. Barack Obama, still hoping to win the presidential election, stopped in for something to eat.

Obama noticed Garlits in the store and proclaimed, "Hey! Hey! Over here! This is the father of big-time drag racing right here."

The “father” of drag racing is humbled by his position, but is most appreciative of the support his fans have given him throughout the years at events similar to Blast from the Past.

“I like doing these events because I get to see a lot of my old fans and their children,” said Garlits. “It is a real honor that they consider me the ‘father’ of drag racing.

“I do about ten of these events each year. I really enjoy coming out to them because I get a chance to see a lot of the old cars. I always like returning to Bristol; the people are wonderful, the management is great and I always think of my friend who built the facility, Larry Carrier.”

Garlits, one of the inaugural members of the Legends of Thunder Valley, recalls an exchange with fellow drivers Connie Kalitta and Tom McEwen as his favorite memory at Bristol Dragway.

“Ah, Bristol, my favorite memory is 1967 at the NHRA Spring Nationals,” he explained. “On Saturday during qualifying, I decided that my car was obsolete and I loaded up and headed out the gate, returning home to build a new car.

“Connie Kalitta and Tom McEwen stopped me and wanted to know where I was going. I said, ‘Home to build a six second car!’ McEwen just had a big horse laugh, but Connie told him to shut up and not make me mad because I might just do it. I did, turning a 6.77 to win the 1967 US Nationals later that season.”

NHRA named Garlits the number one drag racer in history during its 50th Anniversary in 2001. The innovative driver created several designs that would stand the test of time, including wings for downforce and the rear-engine dragster.

While the Top Fuel machines are Garlits’ love, fans will not see him in one anytime soon after a promise he made to his wife.

“I love driving the Top Fuel cars,” admitted Garlits, “but I promised my wife in 2003 that I would never drive one again. John Force’s wife asked him to quit a few years ago; he didn’t and now she makes him live in the ‘boat house.’ I don’t want to move to the ‘cabin.’”

Garlits plans to compete later this season, however, in a new Dodge Challenger Drag Pak. While not as powerful as a Top Fueler, the Challenger will give today’s generation of fans another chance to see the legend in action.

Fans in Bristol will not have to wait nearly as long. They can catch Garlits in Bristol when he slows down just long enough to meet with them during the Blast from the Past presented by Ferguson Enterprises.

Garlits and his Swamp Rat will be just one of the main attractions. Exciting front-engine dragsters, Don Schumacher’s Wonder Wagon nostalgia funny car, a car show and bracket racing make this event one for the history books.

The vintage car show takes place on Saturday with two classes highlighting several generations of automobile history. Registration takes place from 9 a.m. to noon. Judging begins at 9:30 a.m. and ends at 2:30 p.m. Cars will be placed in either the Pre-1979 or Post-1979 class. Entry fee is $20 for pre-registered participants or $25 day of the event. For more information or to register for the car show, please call (865) 804-6617.

Gates open at 10 a.m. on Saturday with time trials beginning at noon. Eliminations will follow. The slingshot dragsters make their first appearance at 5 p.m. The dragsters and vintage funny cars take the track at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.

Spectator admission is $20 on Saturday. Children 12 and under are free.

The bracket machines take to the track once more on Sunday with gates opening at 9 a.m. and time trials rolling off at 10 a.m.

For more information about the Blast from the Past presented by Ferguson Enterprises, please call (423) 764-DRAG or visit www.bristoldragway.com.

Latest posts

Back