blitz black

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunt2001

I am in the process of painting my 50 chevy i stripped alot of the car down to metal and some spots i didnt,Now after spraying the paint on the car , i can see every damn spot where bondo was, different elevation in the paint etc etc.I am by no means building a show car but it looks like dookie in my opinion. i need to resand the whole car again .do you think that spraying primer on before the paint it will hide some of those imperfections?

Not really, unless you use a high build primer and then sand before your topcoat. Surface prep is about 90% of how your final finish looks, if not more. Unfortunately you are learning the hard way that flat or satin paint does not hide as well as people think. In some cases it is actually harder to get a satin finish to look straight than a gloss finish.

So if I understand you correctly you have, as you said, striped some of your car to bare metal and some not. Then you did some body work on I assume the bare metal areas and then sprayed the Blitz Black directly over this with out priming the surface. Correct?

I am assuming that you feathered out the edges of the body work and remaining paint properly.

If so, what your seeing isn't so much different levels of the surface, but rather different areas that the paint has soaked in more than others. This will leave a drier look over the body work and old paint areas, and more shine over the bare metal areas creating different textures. This gives the viewer the illusion of different surface levels. It even feels different when running your hand over it, which also gives your hand the illusion of different levels. It takes a bit of time to train your eye and your hands to see and feel how straight a panel is rather than see and feel the texture that can fool you.

The way to prevent this would have been to put two nice even coats of filler primer on the entire car and resand without breaking through to the sub surface.

However, now that you have sealed it with the black you can go back over the car with a red etch pad (don't break through) and reapply two more even coats of paint. This should help even out the look of the surface.

Last edited:
Yes......Yes....Yes....That's exactly what's going on here.I should of known better this is not the first time i have painted a car.I am just so ready to drive this car ,,,,lol i just got in a HURRY.So scuff the car back up and spray 2even coats of primer.On the passenger side quarter i sprayed primer and it looks amazing, where primer didnt get sprayed looks like chit:mad:

Latest posts

Back