Blown engine

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVE1103

Have to pull the engine (307)out of a 73 Nova, engine will not turn, if I pull just the engine with the converter, messy, should I change the front seal in the trans?(350) Really don't like doing it this way, but am doing it by myself, have a 327 to put back in.

pulling engine

You have to remove the flex plate cover anyway to pull the motor, just go on and take the bolts out of the converter and leave it in the trans.

engine

Sorry I just did a fast read of the orignal post and sent my opinion, but on my way home I thought about it and you said it would not turn, I think you have no option but to pull the converter, and it would be a good idea to replace the front pump seal, you can get reman converters for less than $100 I would replace that also, but thats just me. your gonna need lots of staydri for the mess.

If he pulls engine and trans he still will have a real hard time removing flexplate won't he? I normally pull them together also but in this case I think it is easiest to do what he is thinking. And yes replace the front seal.

Yes, replace the seal. Anytime I pull a motor I always replace the seal, just cheap insurance. Make sure you drive it in square and don't dent the side. About the only seal I'll actually use a seal driver. Grease the convertor slightly and make sure you get it all the way in the pump. Good luck with it .............................. Whatever

I've done it both ways, sometimes changed the seal sometimes not!
But it's cheap insurance 4 or 5 bucks to not have to take it apart again seems reasonable!!

Blown engine is out

Here is a picture of the engine coming out, you can see where the rod came through the pan, same on the other side! Decided to put in a 400 with a 700R, will need a new cross member or modify the one I have. Thanks for the info

Attachments

• Blown engine out 26 July 2011  2 45PM 001.jpg
    Blown engine out 26 July 2011 2 45PM 001.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Steve, a lot of those 307's were under bored 327 blocks and can be bored to a stock 4" to make a great 327 engine. The cranks are 3.25" stroke same as a 327 FYI
They are all large journal mains so a stock 3.48 stroke 350 will fit too with 4" 350 stock pistons.
Under the timing chain cover there will be some numbers like:371 386 636 or 678 they are in series of three digits.
Or put a 3.00" large journal crank in with 4" stock bore Z28 pistons and you have a great little 302 2 bolt main Z28 engine
Just remembering what I use to do.
In other words check before you chunk :eek:
Jim

I watch for 307's on Craigslist so I can use the cranks for 327's using a 350 block.

Old Iron, I'm not familiar with a 3 inch stroke large journal crank. Where do you find that animal?

Latest posts

Back