body work sucks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyIdeas

Im just wondering if anyone else feals like I do. I have ben working at a body shop for about 8 months now so I'm still very new to body work and its tricks and shortcuts. Somedays I feal like a badass others I feal like a dumbass is this about normal? I just get very frustrated when I simply can't figure out what I need to do to move the metal in the correct direction. I do enjoy my job and I love fixing cars. Im just wondering if everyone gets frustrated like I do.

Of the entire build process the one I HATE the most is bodywork. I hate it with a passion. Some people have a feel for it and can look at a panel and know right where it needs more work, but not me.

I worked at a body shop for a while as a customer service guy and would watch our bodymen day after day pounding out stuff, sanding, etc and don't know how they drag their tails out of bed every morning to do it all over again. I really respect those that have this skill.

Don

Yep rates right up there with drywall finishing.
Rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick as to do either

Jim

I went to tech for 18 months, and worked in a bodyshop for another year. Then I quit! I liked the metalwork, and painting, but hated the bondo and dust.

I continued to do bodywork, just not for a living. Moving metal takes practice. It's definitely frustrating to learn, especially if you have as little patience as I do. :mad: But once you get it, you got it for good.

So, I'd encourage you to stick it out. At least until you know how to fix your own stuff properly. Beating stuff with a hammer is good caveman therapy. I find it works the frustration out, instead of the other way 'round.

I still hate bondo, sanding and the damn dust. But I'm glad I learned the metal skills. My project would NEVER have started if I had to pay somebody. I hadn't picked up a body hammer in 10 years, but I still remembered how.

My car before, and after a couple weeks of welding, grinding, hammering, picking and filing. Not finished yet, but there's NO filler in it. You can do it if I can. :D

IMG_0262-1.jpg

IMG_0310-Copy.jpg

Yerright, body work sucks ! :( I've been bashing on my cars for almost 40 years and I'm still learning.... I'm not ashamed to say that I've often only been able to hit a certain level before the bondo comes out. I'm only now beginning to find the patience to take a little more time or go back over and work the metal once more. It's depressing when you see the master metal men turn out bondo free metal masterpieces. I'm at peace with my own shortcomings...:cool:

I have to agree..you body work guys have a certain way about life...I personally dont know how you guys do it. I have been grinding and cutting and fitting rusty metal a lot for the past 9 years (since I got a garage of my own) and I have to say....my hats are off to you guys....I am so sick of rust in ears..in my eyes,,probably in my lungs too....welding this stuff is no fun either...I try my darndest to get everything clean so my little MIG welder will stick to the metal..."pop bang..pop bang..pop bang"..shoot get it all done...and then you grind grind grind and then grind some more...I ground so much metal last week I had rust in my underwear!!!
I do have to say...I really enjoy doing body work on my racecars...you pull the panels off the car..take them out in to the lawn and take your favorite hammer to them...go back into the garage and bolt it back on...maybe add a little yellow paint just in case to make things look better...

MikeC

Out of all the things that I'm not good at bodywork it the worst, or the best. Well, you know what I mean.[S

As much as I hate it, if it wasn't for Bondo, I'd have had to find a different hobby. But then Rat Rodding came along and all of a sudden I could leave things "rough". And the people came and stared. Some nodded their approval. Others went home and began building too. Because perfection was no longer a requirement.[cl

Saints preserve us. Rat Rodding was born. All because a group of hot rodders hated bodywork.:D

(Nice work Dr. Crank)

Haha thanks guys I guess I'm not alone in my frustrations. I do love the fealing you get,when you get a wrecked car tear it down put it back together and it looks like nothing happened. My dad has ben doing bodywork for around 23 years. He thinks its the funiest thing to blow my mind with some simple trick or shortcut but only after I have tried the hardest ways first.

I've said it before...to relate my experiences with body it's like holding my hand over a flame...very painful and the whole time I'm wishing I was some place else.

I just take off my glasses and my bodywork suddenly looks perfect! :D

I kinda like beating on metal. I can deal with grinding - which is good since my welding skills are lacking. ....but......I HATE SANDING!!!!!

Flat black hides a lot of imperfections.

I just take off my glasses and my bodywork suddenly looks perfect! :D

I kinda like beating on metal. I can deal with grinding - which is good since my welding skills are lacking. ....but......I HATE SANDING!!!!!

Flat black hides a lot of imperfections.

Sam, you practically took the words right out my mouth!:D

Latest posts

Back