bomber seats why

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannaby

Dont get me wrong I think they look cool to but why spend big bucks when there are so many nice cheap comfy seats sitting at the wreckers.funny most rat rods I see have the old trackter seat or some bombers with no padding ...ill go for a nace set of junkyard buckets on mine...to each his own I guess.den

I think it's to evoke an early racer feel. No padding = less weight. Less weight = faster times.

Also it seems like a lot of cars are designed with a lot of WW2 aeronautical influnces.

Jay

A guy I know uses the tractor seats for the room it creates due to his choped top and extreme channel

No way!!!

Yeah-and who want's to drive 3 -500 miles a day with only yer butt cheeks as paddin !!!!!

Anyone who says they drive that far with no padding is fibbin' big time!!!

A guy I know uses the tractor seats for the room it creates due to his choped top and extreme channel

I use tractor replacement seats on the old Daytripper & it will still put the big hurt on u're rear.

You are correct on soft seats at the salvage yard. I think part of it is the "do it yourself" thoughts coming from Rat rodders. Thou not really bomber seats, In my case I could not find seats that fit well, but I threw in some healthy padding to drive the truck. I take out the padding for the wow factor of the seats.

It is much like the hard tail choppers that guys ride....why beat yourself up like that?

Well I have them in my my coupe because I like the look of them and the history behind them. I have removable cushions that I insert for trips and they don't bother me at all. I wasn't in the market for just any comfy seat when I installed them.

They have a history in hot rodding. Take a look at some of the early lakes cars. Here's an example. Not that everybody is into that sort of thing, but I am.

The other problem with junkyard buckets is that in most cases they don't look right in an older car...........makes it look like you just dug up some Camaro high back seats and plopped them down in there. I've seen some very nice rods, and when you look inside and see seats that are from a different era it just seems odd, somehow.

Besides, bomber seats are actually pretty comfy and hold you in place pretty well on turns...................plus, they look bitchin'.:D:D

Don

dans30bucketseats007-1.jpg

One thing to it, there's no way around the coolness factor of bomber seats! I've always felt the same way about late model seats in a 30's - 40's era rod. There's just something that doesn't look right about it. I suppose in a street rod properly done they fit right in but in a rat rod I think the seats need to keep with the look and feel of it.

Thunder1

They are not bad, I built them to fit my back, and seat covers from those highback plastic seats fit right over them. And a 4inch thick chunk of foam fits under the seat cover.

Latest posts

Back