Bondo abuse

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyone

Just doing my 57 chevy body work and I can see I ain't getting no cherry :eek:, just wondering if anyone has any pics of Bondo abuse that they've come across that they might want to share.

Just a "little" mud in my Studebaker pick up:rolleyes:

3-21-12072.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

No pics... But the worse I've saw was on a late 90s crown Vic that had been reclipped in the rear. For some reason they did it in the middle of the rear roof post. It was over 1.5" thick and covered most of the rear post.

Before I replaced the 1/4 panels in my first car, there was over 1/2" of bondo...
Crazy... Tons of it on the back half of this 57 pontiac too, and fiberglass in the floors before I cut it all out... some people are just plain stupid...

Probably the worst case of 'Bondo Abuse' I ever seen was committed by me. :eek: But it wasn't really Bondo, it was tubes of resin that they use to set roof bolts in the mines. My best friend's Dad worked in the coal mines and he would bring this stuff home now and then. It was in a soft plastic tube about 30 inches long with the hardener in a separate tube that ran up the middle. In it's intended use a hole was drilled in the rock/shale roof of the mine and the tube inserted into the hole then the bolt which is actually a piece of Re-bar with a bolt head on it, is pushed into the hole puncturing the tube and then it is spun to mix the resin and it sets in about 30 seconds.

One car I used it on was a '50 Chevy Coupe that I had in high school. I wanted to run without a back bumper but the old Chevys had a recessed area with hole in the side of the rear quarter that a bumper bracket came out through. Sooooo, mine bolt resin to the rescue. :p I used screen to back it up with and some gravel out of the driveway for aggregate like I was mixing concrete.......and this stuff gets about as hard as concrete. Topped it off with a little Bondo and you'd never know there was a recess or a hole there. :cool:

Now fast forward about 2 years and I sold the car to a friend of mine and sometime later he decided to put a back bumper on it. [ddd He didn't know the recess was there until he bought a bumper and held it up to see if it would fit........thought he had the wrong bumper until he looked under the car. Took him a day and a half to get all that stuff dug out of there. :p We are still friends to this day and we still rib each other about it often. [cl

Those were the days! :D

My 64 chevelle 2 door wagon has some serious bondo abuse. They didnt even attempt to pull out the dent. :eek:

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 50
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 49
My buddy traded a bass boat for a pair of non running 914's. Guy claimed they were all original body repair never done. I showed up took one look an said "A blind man on a galloping horse could see the bondo on the front of that car!" Took my die grinder and burnt through 3/8" of bond on the front fender. That was the best I have ever seen.

My buddy traded a bass boat for a pair of non running 914's. Guy claimed they were all original body repair never done. I showed up took one look an said "A blind man on a galloping horse could see the bondo on the front of that car!" Took my die grinder and burnt through 3/8" of bond on the front fender. That was the best I have ever seen.

Yep, a magnetic filler gauge is your friend sometimes... anyone knows the porsches rusted like no tomorrow anyway...

Yep, a magnetic filler gauge is your friend sometimes... anyone knows the porsches rusted like no tomorrow anyway...

there was no tomorrow for the floor boards I can tell ya that. passenger side behind the seat even ate the carpet. The driver side had been professionally repaired with liquid nails and a piece of plywood.

Luke did not keep those long, actually never did anything with them, then traded them off for a S10 blazer.......

On Page 21 of my build you can barely see the one 914 in the garage and you can almost make out the spot on top the front fender that had the bondo.

My 57 Chevy had patches brazed over rustholes and then topped off with a generous amount of bondo. When that rusted through patches were pop riveted over rust and more bondo then painted with a roller.

1957chevrolet001_zpsb050aebd.jpg

No bondo on this part of the rocker, replacement just slapped over the old one and riveted.

e676520e-918f-4d65-bdc8-fa39b76d6c68_zps522387f8.jpg

How it looks now.

d67be4be-448d-46c6-880a-7703625af1e8_zps32e786ed.jpg

When I started shaving the handles on my Caddy, I took the door panel off the pass. front door and discovered that it looked like two doors were cut with a hatchet and brazed together with a healthy skim (3/8"-1/2")of bondo over it. (nice '57 by the way)

Latest posts

Back