Bondo Question?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GulfCoastGasser

I am using Bondo 261 (lightweight filler) and 907 (glazing putty) in reshaping an existing fiberglass hood scoop (adding a centerline ridge). Is there anything I can add to this material to slow the drying times - extend the working time?:confused:

Or is there a better product to use for this application in Gulf Coast summer?:rolleyes:

Yeah, Flat is right, the amount of hardener you put in dictates how fast it will cure. Also, there are body fillers and then there are body fillers. A body shop friend put me on to one called Base Coat, Clear Coat by AMC (I think) it is gold in color and goes on like butter, and sands out real easy compared to some. I have heard others talk about one called RAGE by Evercoat, that is also supposed to be good.

Mix up small batches because it will kick in a few minutes, especially in Summer heat.

Don

Don is correct a lot depends on the brand. I use Rage Ultra by evercoat goes on nice and sands out very well. They have a some glaze as well that works great for filling pin holes or working small areas. It comes in a blue can that looks like a shoe polish can can't remember what exactlly it's called.

I also use Dynaglass from evercoat that stuff works well for a base then I move to the Rage Ultra for finishing.

Depending on how large the ridge you are making you may want to sand out the gelcoat and lay fiberglass. It's not too hard too work with. If you get an epoxy based resin you can add micro baloons that acts as a filler like resin for finishing work.

slowing drying times of body filler

I am using Bondo 261 (lightweight filler) and 907 (glazing putty) in reshaping an existing fiberglass hood scoop (adding a centerline ridge). Is there anything I can add to this material to slow the drying times - extend the working time?:confused:

Or is there a better product to use for this application in Gulf Coast summer?:rolleyes:

One thing I've done to slow the drying time of any catalyzed body filler is to add maybe about 5-10% by volume of fiberglass resin. A or B, either will work. Just a little bit. It is the base material in all body fillers, so the catalyst will cause it to harden. This makes the filler very smooth, it will thin the material, and it tends to flow a bit, but if you don't use too much, it will allow you to work it a bit longer. However, there are some things to pay attention to. One issue is, when it goes off and hardens, it kicks off very quickly! Be ready! When it starts to set, stop messing with it, cuz if you don't, you'll end up with a mess of pinholes. It can also eat up sandpaper cuz it will clog the first sheet, so, use an older, worn piece of 40G to "break it open" and take the skin off it, then go after it with fresh paper on a block. I used it in all my filler for 25+ years, and when you get used to it, you'll be able to use it to your advantage in laying on the mud nice and smooth. You'll spend less time sanding, and use less material. Also, I never liked the "lightweight" body fillers. Too many issues with chalky sanding, pin holes, adhesion to bare metal issues etc. Just my 2 cents worth-good luck...

PS-just a general body filler tip-use flat black spray paint as a guide coat-sand it to the general shape you're after, then blow it off and mist on a guide coat. Hardly anybody does this, but it will help you sand your filler smooth, find any pin holes, and get all those 40 grit sand scratches out...I know, long winded, but I get goin' and, well...
Hoof

Hoof said it exactly right, it will work every time. And if you want your bodywork to be straight, use a guide coat every time. I use one all the way through the paint prep. It will help you "train" your hand to know the difference between high and low spots. And for making lines, a guide coat is of the utmost importance. BTW, if you aren't using Rage, do yourself a favor and get some. It is the best mud out there by far...

Latest posts

Back