Bored with car shows.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Over the past few years I have been noticing that I do not enjoy car shows as much as I once did. Maybe it is old age, maybe I have been doing it too long, who knows. Ever since we got my Sons car running recently we have been trying to rack up as many break in miles as possible and have hit a few local shows, and within a short period of time being there I am bored and ready to go.

There are exceptions, I still love Turkey Run in Daytona, and Billetproof is my very favorite, but I think I enjoy those because of different reasons. At Turkey Run we spend 99% of our time in the swap meet, and Billetproof has a bunch of the kinds of cars I can relate to and it is a chance to see old friends. The ones I am bored with are the local parking lot shows where you plop your butt down on a lawn chair or walk around looking at the cars (which you have seen 30 times before because they are local).

We went to one in downtown Ft. Myers last night and it was ok because there were streetside restaurants there where you could sit outside and have a bite , and we got to talk to some nice people about our cars and their cars. But after a few hours I was ready to just enjoy a nice long ride in our cars.

Anyone else feel this way?

Don

I know what you mean, I have more fun running errands in mine and talking with the people who are standing around it when I come out.(Plus I can lie to them and tell them it has 1,000 hp and they don't know the difference.) :eek:

Don

cross country

l do the local shows and a few special ones, but what i really want to do cross country road trip.

not an powertour type, just a trip on my own time and stopping at the "local'' shows and rod runs all over america.

take a couple months and just go:D:D:D

just me and the dodge truck....heaven.

Later :cool:

I got bored of car shows years ago., at least the stadium type where cars are displayed jacked up with mirrors under them.
Runs are a bit more fun because most of the cars got driven in and there isn't much of the real goofy crap.

We go to meet up with friends from other citys/states. Me and my cant wait for the next gathering. The show is just an awesome meeting place with nice cars and parts everywhere.
Tim

Seems the people make a good show not the cars.Ive had my best times when a group of fellow car owners hanging out BSing showing our cars as opposed to to just setting up alone at some random show.

the ride to and from the car show has always been the fun part for me. i enjoy the swap meets more than the car shows.

There are a few that I really like going to. But Sometimes, I just like walking trough them, and going on about my business. I used to wonder why a lot of guys would drive to the show with their nice car, and park it in the parking lot. I know now.

I agree Don! The big old line shows here like Autorama are stale, stale, stale. There area few kool local shows around here that are still fun. Lonestar Round Up is a small show that grew up over night after they switched venues & one of my favs... kool cars & kool peeps with no trophies or any foolishness like that! Just kool peeps showin' up to be with other car folk!

BoB

I've never liked big car shows ever since I was old enough to drive. All it makes me want to do is leave and get back to building or driving something!

I wish we had more (or any) local gatherings in Houston that were geared towards having fun and cruising around in ratty type rods. There's one outside of town that meets most saturdays but it's mostly a bunch of check-writers with shiny stuff. Pretty boring people and cars.

I like shows for the gathering of friends. I have seen most of the cars before, so I dont really care aout those. I do like to see new faces and cars, look for new ideas and mostly just visit. swap meets in our area are few and far between, but a swap always gets me there.:cool:

Glad to hear I am not alone on this one. Maybe the reason I am burned out is because here in Florida there is some show going on every week and you see the same cars .

There is one in Naples next Saturday and we are on the fence about going, but Naples does have some nice cars, ones we don't see too often, so we might go.

Don

Glad to hear I am not alone on this one. Maybe the reason I am burned out is because here in Florida there is some show going on every week and you see the same cars .

There is one in Naples next Saturday and we are on the fence about going, but Naples does have some nice cars, ones we don't see too often, so we might go.

Don

That was one thing I liked about going to the Turkey rod run last year. A lot of different cars and the drive was nice. You ought to come to the Grand and/or the Shades of the past here in Pigeon Forge. I never go to the shows. I just cruise the strip a couple of days.:cool:
Tim

Move North, you'll change you're mind!!!
I'm going stir crazy not having any kind of car fix!!! And we don't start having good ones for a couple more months!!
I never get enough, but racing over the years really cut into my attending car shows, so I'm probably waaaay behind you!!:D

I'm with you Don...I enjoy the "Main Street Cruise" style more than a "Park-N-Sit" show. I would rather hear the engines running and the occasional tire chrip with Green Onions playing in the background. [ddd

Turkey Rod Run was so massive that it is in a class by itself which I'm sure there are others like that around the country...but the weekly parking lot stuff gets old quick.

-Troy

I like the shows that have a few decent bands and would love to get to one of the shows that includes some racing. My favorite local show has been the Carnage on Larimer event in Denver and monthly Golden Super Cruise events in the warmer months.

I have to agree with you Don, I used to do a ton of actual shows, Goodguys,NSRA, and so forth. I really got tired of the cleaning and polishing before a show, that's why I decided to build a Rat Rod, so I can drive it and not worry about it being a little dirty or unpolished. I still enjoy getting together with other gearheads for BSing and bench racing. I used to get a kick out of people that thought I was crazy for driving my cars, I would tell them that's why I built them.....LOL

Latest posts

Back