Bought my first cab today!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard windex and a scotch-brite pad but haven't tried it.

Completely didn't even see this, I might have to try this!

I did some measuring on the S10 it sits about 8" off the ground at its lowest point and I think I could get away at about 6-6 1/2" of clearance so I'm thinking that its likely I'm going to use a coil over rear and a spring behind front, looking at the speedway part number 91339006 and I'm gonna try to snag a rear end at a junkyard around here somewhere for cheap

8.8 Ford from an Exploder is a good choice. Plenty tough, good ratios and lots of them are limited slip. $100-$150 around here, and you might even get a disc brake one.

Yeah craigslist is being a good friend to me on this! Found a local 360 that was a fresh rebuild a year ago, truck rusting around it and it wont turn the whole way over for $150... might go snag it

Well my biggest problem is 1. Getting in and out of my driveway and 2. The road conditions out here are so bad, that running that low all of the time is going to make it a little tougher, one of the main goals of the build is to build something I want to drive, a lot, hence not chopping/channeling with a manual transmission. But I'm not opposed to running a full on traditional setup if I can get it to look right for me and not be a bear to drive. I'm looking at it from a drivability standpoint not so much a statement standpoint. Channeling might be possible or a chop I'm short, 5'6" but I don't want it to be so bad no one wants a ride. Just trying to find a balance.

So you guys got me thinking and I'm gonna take a couple measurements of where my s10 sits ride height, honestly with my old cobra and my s10 I think they barely clear 4-6" under the body and I can get away with that, if that's the case I don't see why I couldn't run old school front and rear for now and if I don't like it change it as I get the cash, I figure I'll do the same with the chop if I don't like the full cab I can always chop it later

Yep, you got game.;) You're thinking this through before spending dough and planning it out should save you from failure.:cool:

I didn't mean to sound overly critical in my earlier post and I think I could have found a more "gentle" way to get my point across. I'm just utterly confounded by the number of people who build these cars/trucks with GIGANTIC rear kickups and long travel coilovers or air suspension. I'm all for innovation, but sometimes it just doesn't add up to me?[S I often wonder over guys spending all that dough on unnecessary air ride and such, then having to let the car sit for months cause they blew the budget before spending money on the "essentials."

I see you've got an S-truck, so I know you've got some experience in this rodeo from before.:cool:

Sounds like you're making great use of craigslist, that's a great resource for stuff, to be sure! Smart thinking there.:D

Regards,
Shea:)

Yep, you got game.;) You're thinking this through before spending dough and planning it out should save you from failure.:cool:

I didn't mean to sound overly critical in my earlier post and I think I could have found a more "gentle" way to get my point across. I'm just utterly confounded by the number of people who build these cars/trucks with GIGANTIC rear kickups and long travel coilovers or air suspension. I'm all for innovation, but sometimes it just doesn't add up to me?[S I often wonder over guys spending all that dough on unnecessary air ride and such, then having to let the car sit for months cause they blew the budget before spending money on the "essentials."

I see you've got an S-truck, so I know you've got some experience in this rodeo from before.:cool:

Sounds like you're making great use of craigslist, that's a great resource for stuff, to be sure! Smart thinking there.:D

Regards,
Shea:)

Thank you. No the tone was right and got your points across believe me. I'm not looking to innovate the only reason I thought air ride honestly was to keep function with the look I want. My s10 actually was lowered when I got it and I put it back to stock before putting the v8 into it. Being that truck was built to drag race and I sold my cruiser (800+rwhp 2008 Shelby I put together) this was more a progression to what I'm interested in and being my g/f and I finally got to see rats in person last year we fell in love and not a day has gone by that we don't talk about cruising in one, but just like my other builds I'm very meticulous in build planning.

The primary use is to cruise and have fun, which I lost sight of with the Shelby, got too caught up in the "king of the street" game. All this being said you're getting a better idea of my intentions with the truck, I'd like to run about 6-7" ride height and in that I can work with a traditional style suspension so I'm not trying to put a square peg into a round hole especially with the limited skill set I have currently. The best part for me is that everything is easy to change. I'm still trying to decide where I should put the rest of the startup cash I have left into, be it front and rear axles, engine, frame, ect

So I might also be thinking *too* much since I have too many directions I could go with this. If I go back to my original idea of a dually one of the thoughts I have is running a tall wide set of all terrain tires on the back, kind of like some of the new age lifted duallys do, but my concern is to run something up front that looks proportional is it going to make steering tough if I run a 33" rear and something maybe closer to 31" up front or possibly shorter but it's still going to need some width to look correct, kind of similar to a wrecker rat rod I saw somewhere, and running a flat bed/stake bed rather than a typical bed... I think I'm coming up with too many ideas

Last edited:
Alright after a ton of thought and looking at a lot of different trucks and how things are setup... I have realized that if I shy away from a dually then I will no doubt regret it. So my new issue is this... I'd like to run an 8 lug front wheel to match the rears... I can get an adapter but I'm not sure how well that would work, could I run say... a beam axle from a later model dually and get away with that? Not 100% sure how their beams work, I have seen sine like the flaming river twin beam which isn't what I'm looking for, more just in the way of a big truck axle to get that 8 lug bolt pattern. I'd also like to run a tall and wide set of all terrains out back with a smaller tire up front but not sure of sizes just yet. Any ideas from any of the dually guys out there?

is it really a 38-39? it looks like it at the fire wall but has later doors on it. so the body lines wont match. could be an optical illusion with the paint, they just look like 40-46 doors

Yes, the cab is '38 / '39 Ford with '40's Ford doors added at some point in it's life. This cab came from our junkyard, so I am familiar with it. We've got another one in stock with the same newer doors on it. The only differance in doors is the body line. '38 / '39 has 3 ribs, '40 / '47 has 2 ribs, but the overall hight of the ribs is the same & the ribs line up well with the cab.

Yes, the cab is '38 / '39 Ford with '40's Ford doors added at some point in it's life. This cab came from our junkyard, so I am familiar with it. We've got another one in stock with the same newer doors on it. The only differance in doors is the body line. '38 / '39 has 3 ribs, '40 / '47 has 2 ribs, but the overall hight of the ribs is the same & the ribs line up well with the cab.

Worked out well for me everything is in awesome shape, plus I got the cool bullet hole and hand brushed enamel paint job, thanks again can't say enough good about you guys

Latest posts

Back