Box or not to box?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyT

Recently I picked up an early Ford double A frame. (Model AA dump version). I'm planning on using the rails only. The frame horns were missing and the rails will need to be cut to length since they are over 14' long. The wall thickness of the rails are 3/16" and the width of the rail is 1-3/4" at the front to 2-1/2" at the back where I want to make the cut. The rear frame section will be made of 2x3x .188 rectangular tubing. My question is, Do I need to box in the rails?

Thanks for the advise. So I've seen two different boxing methods, closing the channel flush or just inside the channel leaving a lip. Is one better than the other?

neither one is better than the other. Flush boxing is easier and the recessed boxing is more of a traditional look or factory look to it. It also alows you to run your piping for fuel and brakes just inside the lip. I like the recessed style but that is just my opinion. [;)

Latest posts

Back