Broke into tears today, im such a woman.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly4008

About 8-10 years ago i gave a friend of mine a '63 IH Scout 80. I didnt really put much thought into it at the time. Years pass and i totally regret doing it.

The Scout belonged to my grandfather. He bought it new in '63. My grandmother use to drive it 40miles a day to take my mother and uncles from the farm to Catholic School in the city. On days when she had to take a calf to auction they put if in the back with the kids. My uncle took his road test in it. My grandfather had a second barn ontop of a hill about a mile from his main farm that he raised beefers in. Real nasty hill, during the winter they always ended up losing control on the way down and road the ditch the whole way to the bottom.

Well, the guy i gave it to came into the shop monday with a drag link for a jeep that he needed shortened. We got to talking about the Scout and he told me that the county was on his case for having to much crap in his yard. So he gave it to another friend of ours. I called him that day inquiring about it. Well, today i went out to get it.

Its great to have it back home. It doesnt run, the engine is seized, and she needs some patch work, and the usual TLC, but i know i can nurse it back to health.

On my way home after dropping it off to the shop i got to thinking about all the family history of the ol' gal. All the miles my grandparents put on it. How my mother use to get embarassed getting dropped at school. Then i got to thinking of how i havent seen either one of my grandparent alive since i was 5...........then i broke down into tears.

I'll post some pics tommorrow after i get her unloaded.

CRY BABY!! LOL Just kidding man good story the kind i like to hear! i been looking for my dads 50 mercury , i know its gone but i always look when i am there! in his home town. i would love to have it no matter what condition it is in!

Good story hillbilly. I'm glad you were able to get it back where it belongs with all the family history involved. When I first started reading the story, I though you were going to say it was lost at the end. My dad used to own my coupe and even though I've changed it a lot, I'll never get rid of it for that reason. Looking forward to the photos.

My 51 pickup was owned by my great grandfather for about 15 years, up until he was to blind to drive.

before he died he gave ot to my great uncle.
We built a hot rod out of it, camaro clip 350 motor and trans.
any ways after we built it my unc decided he wanted a vette, so he sold it to me cheap.

Now i kinda want to build it back like original.

theres more to car and trucks than a lot of people think.

i'm glade to here that i'm not the only one like that .
When i got about hafe way threw the story i thought that you were gonna say it got hauled off for scrap or some thing like that [it happens alote around here ]
I love my ol 50 chevy truck ,my papaw was the 2nd owner of it and every one in the family used it over the years and i even learned to drive in it when i was little .and i always wanted it .but when he died he left it to my little cousin and he took it apart and lost interest in it and offerd to sell it to me for 50 bucks !!!!Man i was real happy,and i chopped and built it and drove it for about 8 years . now its time for a rebuidand i'm gonna try my best to get my son envolved as much as posible so mabie he will have some fond memories too.
I loved my papaw he was my favoite person in life and every time i ride that 50 chevy i think of him but i'm always afraid that some thing is gonna happen to it so i dont drive it as much as i would .Its so crazy how we become so attached to old vehicles.

Attachments

• past rides 5_1536x2048_1000x1000.jpg
    past rides 5_1536x2048_1000x1000.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 101_2407_320x240.JPG
    101_2407_320x240.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 7
Here it is. The motor is stuck, i pour about a gallon of diesel down the carb and into the cylinders. Hopefully tommorrow i can get it to turn.

I didnt get it off the trailer like i wanted to, i didnt have anyone to help me. There are no brakes and no driveshaft hooked up. So she no stoppy. Otherwise i woulda done it myself. I bet the garage door would've slowed it down.

Attachments

• 100_1324.jpg
    100_1324.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_1325.jpg
    100_1325.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_1326.jpg
    100_1326.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_1327.jpg
    100_1327.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_1329.jpg
    100_1329.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 8
That's great Hillbilly! I'm real sentimental about things too. My Dad owned two cars that belonged to my Grandfather and Great Uncle. My brother and I talk about those cars all the time. We both wish they were still in the family. I know where one is but it's not for sale and the other is long gone unfortunately. I'm happy for you. Have fun with it.

Thunder

Latest posts

Back