Buick 300 opinions and observations wanted

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I'm going after a 65 Lesabre today. It is on it's way to the crusher but I thought I'd see if the engine isn't stuck, maybe pull it. What's the scoop on the little 300? How hard is it to find stickshift stuff to hang on one? Speedparts?

Some of the 300 parts can be made to work with the old v8 buick motor

I think the crank can be used to stroke the little v8
i knew a guy who had swapped a 300 into his 62 skylark

215, 300, and 340 are of the same design. go over to v8buick.com there's a lot of info there on the bufords. i like the old bufords myself.

I'm using a 64 300 in my 26 t , they are different i think then the 65 , mine has alum, heads , speed parts are hard to find for it , still looking for a 4bbl manifold , they have interesting trans. 2 speed torque convetors .

This one turns out to be a 4 bbl version and the engine isn't stuck. Only 64's were aluminum. I see those intakes on ebay for $400+ I am debating whether to pull the engine before it goes to the crusher but I don't really have a place to store it and also not sure what the bell housing pattern is for tranny options, don't want to run that oddball tranny. I think mines a 3 speed though. It also has a tilt column that I will snag for some future project.
Probably just save the intake and exhaust and column, sent the rest bye-bye

Some of those Buicks had a "switch pitch" converter, two different stall speeds controlled by a electric switch. They are highly sought after!

The more I think about it. I' think I'll set this one aside until I have a little more time. At least replace all the plug wires the rodents ate off and see if I can light a fire in it and if so, then see if the tranny goes into gear or not. Might be a cool engine to slide into my 60 F-100 project if it's healthy enough. Use the tilt column too maybe.
I found a guy on ebay who is re-popping the cal custom valve covers.

I have a 350 Buick and TH350. The BOP trannies have a U-shape dip on the top of the bell, vs a humpback on the Chevy version. As others said, the switch-pitch is supposed to be neat. Gets you off the line like a higher stall, then drops back to highway manners at speed. That's save you enough to get a burger when yer done cruizin'!

Today I replaced the plug wires that the rodents had eaten, filed the points and put it on a jug with electric fuel pump. It fired right up and sounded good but wouldn't go into gear. 3 quarts of tranny fluid and it went right into drive and reverse on the trailer. So I unloaded it here until I can pull the engine/tranny and the tilt column, kinda thinking it would be a cool drivetrain for my 58-60 F-100 project. Although I strongly prefer 3 pedals, the switch-pitch sounds pretty cool.

i got one of those switch pitch th400 stashed in a shed out back, it came on a 67 340. i had to detune the 340 as it needed good gas and it ran like stink.

i got one of those switch pitch th400 stashed in a shed out back, it came on a 67 340. i had to detune the 340 as it needed good gas and it ran like stink.

Might be an issue here too. This is the high compression 4 bbl version of the 300. I think like 10.25 to one or so. Some searching of Buick gurus should come up with a cam that would lower cylinder pressure.

Latest posts

Back