Build me an aluminum cowl?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmachado

Who on here uses and english wheel or simialr tools to form aluminum and could build me an aluminum cowl for my project? This is just a feeler to see if this could be done. However, I have the car almost built and I cannot get the body the way I want it.

I might be in the market for the entire body, I don't know.

Disclamer: I'm looking for someone like myself who enjoys doing this work and would do it for the cost of materials plus a little something for the trouble. I'm not trying to get ahold of Moal Coachbuilders and lay down $25,000.00 for an aluminum body. I don't want to be a cheap a$$, but I also don't want anyone to get upset if they take time to try and help me out. I, like most, am on a tight budget.
Thanks
JP

I believe I understand your situation--I have thought it over often, and what I've started doing is looking at various sheetmetal corners and curves that have similar bends I need and cut and piece them together.

English wheel work is apparently real labor intensive, and I would not expect any of it done on the low buck..

The compound curves in a cowl are especially dificult to find. A good source though is a rusted out Model A gastank for the corners. Some rear window sheetmetal is useable.. The flat bends can be seen in early Dodge cowls, but don't look good. That is usually the giveaway for a home built body.

I have considered cutting 'darts' and welding pie slice fillers to get the compound cowl corners--never tried it though.

Good luck with it--let us know if you get a solution.

PA41

I believe I understand your situation--I have thought it over often, and what I've started doing is looking at various sheetmetal corners and curves that have similar bends I need and cut and piece them together.

English wheel work is apparently real labor intensive, and I would not expect any of it done on the low buck..

The compound curves in a cowl are especially dificult to find. A good source though is a rusted out Model A gastank for the corners. Some rear window sheetmetal is useable.. The flat bends can be seen in early Dodge cowls, but don't look good. That is usually the giveaway for a home built body.

I have considered cutting 'darts' and welding pie slice fillers to get the compound cowl corners--never tried it though.

Good luck with it--let us know if you get a solution.

PA41

I've thought about piecing it togeather. However, my chassis is very nice compared to anything I can do bodywise. I really don't want to cop out in the end and have a body that looks like you said "home built". I've contacted a few metal shaping places to get an idea of cost. I'm hoping with the limited work I need done, I could save up and get it. I only really need the cowl not the firewall, so it's just a couple of curves. Hopefully someone else will see it this way, too. Thanks

You can buy the model a top tank cover piece for a couple hundred bucks and the cowl sides are pretty cheap. Would be steel but professional looking.I don't know what your doing exactly or why you want aluminum, but its an idea.

You can buy the model a top tank cover piece for a couple hundred bucks and the cowl sides are pretty cheap. Would be steel but professional looking.I don't know what your doing exactly or why you want aluminum, but its an idea.

It's a good idea. I'm weighing all my options. Thanks

Latest posts

Back