building a custom frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepdipper

ok hay guys and girls first time posting in the thread area. But i am going to start building my frame and so on i just need to know if this will be good or should i use differnet metal thickness or somthing. OK im thinking on useing a
2x4 Square or Rectangle Tube
what thickness should i use and ive read alot of building frames and stuff just let me know what i should use thickness. ive never built a frame but i want to i dont have a truck ill be useing yet or should i just wait.

thanks for the info in advance [cl

You really should have the cab, at the very least, to get an idea of where to put things. Better still, would be to have the axles and a motor. That way you'll know where your axles are going to mount, how much room you need for the motor, and ride height.

As for frame 2x4 rec. is good. Minimum is 2x3 rec. 3/16" thickness is the standard.

You really should have the cab, at the very least, to get an idea of where to put things. Better still, would be to have the axles and a motor. That way you'll know where your axles are going to mount, how much room you need for the motor, and ride height.

As for frame 2x4 rec. is good. Minimum is 2x3 rec. 3/16" thickness is the standard.

Bingo!:D

custom frame

yea im just going to wait but when i look at these killer rat rods i dont think ill build a good looking one likes these guys. but it will be my first build car wise but my girlfriends brother is going to weld for me so i hope hes a good welder :confused:. But i guess as long as i take my time it should be a good build. but ill read threads till i start my build i think thats a good start what you guys think?

sounds good to me,
I'd just wait and see what comes along

thats what ima do and i hope my dream truck pops up some where 1930s chevy pickup here i come and i know how to weld a little bit i think that will help lol
i just love seeing this builds on here i hope i can do some really good work like these guys but im going to steal some ideas for sure
but i cant wait till i get to start on my rat rod [dr i cant wait but lil discourged at the same time i dont know if thats normal [S

i know alot of people on here are tried and true to the solid axle front, but you can build a very clean and mean hot rod using a front clip from...say a camaro, s10, etc. better luck get a motor/trans to go along with that solid front clip. that way if you want, have IFS, drivetrain, and very solid metal platform to build back from... imho...but good luck and worst case look at my build thread along with many others...

NO! I didn't even open the link, I just saw it was HF. Don't waste your money! Definitely not for frame work, no matter what it's rating is, I wouldn't trust my life to HF stuff.

You really need a 220v welder for frame work. A 120v is OK for body panel work, but won't get the penetration needed for critical structural welds.

You can find used arc welders for cheap.

yea i guess some people dont like them idk. so i need a 220v mig welder for frame work ok ill look for one and i can use the same welder for my body work right. Sorry for all the dumb questions im a noob to this can of stuff

You are asking some good questions and getting some great suggestions from Sam and the others. No matter how many years we have been playing with these things, all of us have to ask questions now and then to get over some issue. :)

Don

thank you guys

You are asking some good questions and getting some great suggestions from Sam and the others. No matter how many years we have been playing with these things, all of us have to ask questions now and then to get over some issue. :)

Don

Yea I know people ask questions but I don't really like to ask but I ask so I won't end up hurt myself and doing something that won't work but my grandpa call me bout 30mins ago or something and he said his buddy will weld up my frame but he's not a rat rod fun just American muscle and Ohh boy would I love to drive is chevelle but yea I trust him and my grandpa so they won't do is half a** . But when I get my body and do my mock up frame ill post it up. But thank you guys for replying and suggestions and and Don I end up reading a lot of yall post and you guys give good information and I'm taking it all in for my build thanks again guys
Trevor

A 220v MIG should do about anything you'd ever need it for. BUT for body work, and non-critical frame work a 110v will be good enough. Good idea to have someone else weld the frame. That's what I did. I could kinda weld, but didn't trust my welding for frame work. So I did all the prep work - measuring, cutting, clamping in place, etc. Then had someone else come over and do the welding.

Yea
I can weld but I won't trust it for driving so that's what ima do.
And have you guys ever seen a jeep rat rod for me I think its really cool and different and you have to do it right tho to make it look good but I can get my hands a keep easyer then anything esle cause every body out here seems to brake there keeps and sells it for less than they should so let me know what yall think

Yea
I can weld but I won't trust it for driving so that's what ima do.
And have you guys ever seen a jeep rat rod for me I think its really cool and different and you have to do it right tho to make it look good but I can get my hands a keep easyer then anything esle cause every body out here seems to brake there keeps and sells it for less than they should so let me know what yall think

I am sorry, you lost me on that one??

Latest posts

Back