Building a gasser....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what front end?

• Total voters

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
So if you were to build a gasser would you A: just buy a complete straight axle, spring, brake, spindle set up from speedway or B: try and source a good 49-54 truck axle, a pair of springs and a set of 49-54 car spindles? (and still have to buy brakes)

56 chevy wagon gasser with a cad 500

would depend.....

So if you were to build a gasser would you A: just buy a complete straight axle, spring, brake, spindle set up from speedway or B: try and source a good 49-54 truck axle, a pair of springs and a set of 49-54 car spindles? (and still have to buy brakes)

56 chevy wagon gasser with a cad 500

What is the look you're going for??? Old School or modern/easy?lol Always easier to get the package... but I wouldn't know what to do with easy.....lol

Other than the discs the SW kit looks very old school! I think that is the way to go, having said that if I had a line on a good axle and springs to get me started I would probably go with the old stuff. The one thing you have to think about is all the small things you will need, with the SW kits anything you need is available. Really when it boils down to it, it's just personal preference.

If you are using a 500 Cad engine it's not going to be period anyways, so why bother with an old axle? Might as well but new...

thats a good point. Didn't even think about that. [S

I have been looking around for an axle and it looks like "period" style is going to be more expensive. axles seem to run $100-$150 bare. Add good springs, spindles and a brake kit and I think it will be in the $1200 range. [P

As for the look it will be as follows: "periodish" look, straight axle, nose up, skinny fronts, relocated rear springs, 10" white wall cheater slicks, simple black paint, some simple graphics, d-100 van seats, fenderwell headers, either steel rear wheels with spindle mount style front wheels or torque thrusts front and rear.

Weigh the pros and cons....
50's truck axles are heavy and likely will need a kingpin job, drums look period correct but fade fast. However they can be cheap if you have your scrounging skills sharp... Always seemed to me a bit backwards using an axle that has a 4" drop like typical 50's Chevys when you're trying to get altitude.

To me, a straight tube axle always looks the best and if you have the coin, the Speedway kit is awfully attractive, and disc brakes are a small visual compromise compared to the braking advantage they give. Plus, you can weld on the mounts where you need them and you can pick the right width so your wheels sit right in the fenders. All new un-rusty, unworn parts, only downside I see is the initial price to play....

if you want to go cheapish and easy get a 2wd jeep axle disc brakes straight axle and roll out most people will give them away.

Latest posts

Back