building a metal T body

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweet daddy t

This question may already be on here but has anybody built there own metal body? I am thinking about ditching my fiberglass T body, it's in about 8 pieces from a previous owner (was free) and just building a metal one.I think building one might be a little easier than days of fiberglass work.I already got plenty of sheet metal so have I lost my mind or is it doable would really like your input.

Do you have the ability and equipment to make compound curves of several sizes? If you don't, fiberglass is probably the easier way. Just my armchair opinion.

Agreed....

without that equipment they come out looking like some square box welded together....not pleasing to the eye....:eek:

I've built several bodies from scratch with unsophisticated tools, if you look at bodies such a Model T, you'll find that there are few compound curves - much of it can be made with simple curved panels, compound curves can be made of smaller pieces that you can hammer out on a sandbag. I usually build a framework and weld the panels to it, it makes it easier to keep things in shape. Check out my golf cart builds or my 33ish roadster build in the Traditional Rods section.

Here's a tip. Mid-80's to mid-90's Chevy van hoods have the perfect curvature for '26-'27 bun panels. Add some repro lower panels, fab some door jambs and top railings and you've got bun panels.

Thanks so much for the input I do have a lot of the tools as for the skill I have always lived by some wise words my uncle told me 40 years ago,If someone did something with there brain and hands there is no reason I cant do the same thing just may take me a little longer.I have scratch built everything else so far and would love to tackle the body maybe start with a 27 style cowl and go from there.I read a story where Richard Petty and his gang would build the race cars with just hand tools a cutting torch and a stick welder and bend role bars around a tree from stop sign post they stole from every street corner.Will have to think on this one a while.

There is a guy on the HAMB building a 32 Ford roadster out of a VW beetle ! :eek: When he did his first post a lot of us thought "this is going to be an abortion", but after a few posts we started to see that the guy had the skills and desire to actually turn out a reasonable replica of a Deuce..........not exact, but not bad either. It is actually turning out very cool.

BUT........he has a ton of welding and shaping in it to get it right, and most of these turn out looking like a box when finished, so his is rare. If you think you can pull it off, go for it.

Don

Me thinks I am so far into this build with the fiberglass body and the steel floor is already in I would have to start all over again so a heavy modded glass body I think will be my best bet right now but keep the input coming would love to see pics.

My 2 cents...
Between what ZZ and 2.3 turbo told you you can build your own from metal.
If you are going to try this a T bucket would be the one to do first. Especially if you aren't going to put in doors.
Torchie.

You know for less than $400.00 I can sell you a new glass body.

http://www.eztbucket.com/Traditional-23-T-Body-2001.htm

RPMBody1.jpg

If you just want a body to get your T on the road the you really can't beat RPM's price on his glass unit. Great guy with excellent products and service.

If you truly want to build your own then do this:

-Take your glass body and "assemble" it using big pop rivets and strips of sheet metal.
-From there you can get the look you want as far as stretch, width etc.
-Once you have the look you want then build your steel structure inside of it for the metal body.
-Once the steel inner frame is done then you can remove pieces of the glass body as you make the new steel ones to to fit the steel inner frame.
-Pretty soon you will have the whole body made.

Latest posts

Back