Built some tools to help with Ignition Timing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docsholiday

I've read where others have put off doing some timing work on their motors due to a lack of tool(s) for the job.
Two tools that can be made using two leftover spark plugs are
#1. A piston top dead center pin, and ..
#2 A T.D.C. tool that makes one person piston T.D.C. location simple
Pictures of these tools are attached.
For the T.D.C. piston stop tool...make sure the center pin is a slip fit, as you'll want to be able to move it slightly to find your first stop when rotating first counter-clockwise (CCW). You are best off if there is a timing tape around your Harmonic Balancer (HB). Put a small piece of tape alongside the timing tape and mark where the pointer is at during this first stop of the tool. Then without moving the pin rotate the motor in the opposite direction (CW) clockwise until the piston again comes into contact with the stop. Note that point where the timing pointer is at, on the tape you put down. Now with a sheet of paper lay it down onto the two marks you made and transfer them to the paper. Fold the paper in half and lay it back down over the HB and see if your new centerline on the paper matches that of your pointer at TDC.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 41
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 43
I'm missing something.... how do you get the bolt to stay put? Did you tap the inside of the plug? Never tore apart a plug before, besides exploding the insulator or melting the electrode. Are the already threaded inside?

looks like a neat little tool!!! But yes, how do you keep the bolt in the plug? This thread might be better suited in the shop section.....

T.D.C. Tool used in my fix

Re: how to keep the metal pin in place once inside the spark plug is easy too.
If you take a 5/16ths bolt, with a bit of force you will be able to thread it down into the spark plug bore. There is a 'ring' halfway down the bore of the spark plug that the pin threads will thread through.
This tool works especially well when used to find 'True' TDC.

I found a CNC'd HEI distributor with a performance module, a 65K coil and cap with rotor in brass contacts for $35 online!! It comes with an adjustable vacuum advance cannister too. I bought some performance 8mm plug wires and went and bought some new spark plugs too...went one heat range up from what I've been running. I'm running an AC Delco R44XLS gapped at .045".

My old HEI was just that...'Old'. It runs out of steam at about 5K RPM's.
I'm starting from scratch. Finding TDC Fire at #1 and doing the whole deal.
It always sounds simple, but we all know better!!
I have a tranny cooler line leak..looks like it anyway. Have to tackle that. Need to bush the mounting points of the cab better at the frame today too. Mount my drivers side rear view peep mirror. Start drawing some pictures for my tailgate art..pin-up for sure.
Okay all of you out there who read this...say a little prayer for me....as this motor 'should' fire right up! yea, right!
later

Latest posts

Back