buried 57 belvedere in tulsa

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, we are here in the middle of it (got in this afternoon). We drove the 57 Plymouth here from AZ.....what a road trip. Were staying at a hotel a couple of blocks from the site and the parking lot looks like a car show.

As far as watching it here are a couple of sites I came across you may want to check out.

For the actual taking it out of the ground

www.oklatravelnet.com noon CST

And the web broadcast of the unveiling is going to be

www.kotv.com 7pm CST

There both supposed to be live webcasts.

I understand someone got a peek under it and the foors may be gone. It will be interesting to see what it's really like.

Also be interesting to see what becomes of it afterward.

Anyway thought I'd stop back in and say hi.

Last edited:
Thank for the update and info Mike. I'd like to see some pics of your 57 there and the cars that showed up for the big event. Are you taking any photos? Have fun at the unveiling.

Last edited:
Well got back from the "unearthing" (had to watch on Closed Circut TV)and watching the car arive in the convention center.

Been having a ball here. Boyd sure didn't look happy his coment "looks pretty bad".:D

Anyway here are a few picts some might find interesting. First is my 57 that I spent 2 1/2 years building to dive here (Tri-power 354 Hemi 4 speed).

A Chop top 440 57 custom

A garage shot from last night

And
The bug screen from a 60 Chrysler 300F that drove here from Wisconsin

Attachments

• MY PLy.JPG
    MY PLy.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Chop 440.JPG
    Chop 440.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Furys.JPG
    Furys.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 13
  • John 300.JPG
    John 300.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
The really nice thing to see is the majority of cars have been DRIVEN here (I suspect for some of them it's the first time they have seen rain in years).

Here's some pitures of the buried car being backed into the convention center so it can be preped prior to tonight.

There are some really neat cars I'm going to try to get pictures of tomorrow at the show and post latter. (One tha comes to mind is a 4dr 57 Plymouth shortend to a 2dr with a HEMI). There are some pretty neat primer/suede cars that I'll also be posting.

Attachments

• Ply 1.JPG
    Ply 1.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Ply 2.JPG
    Ply 2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Ply 3.JPG
    Ply 3.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thanks for the "on scene" coverage Mike P. It must be cool to see 57 Mopars driving around everywhere.

I'm anxious to see the car unveiled but I was hoping it would be in much better condition than it appears to be in.

breaking news

A local news station here in Oklahoma city just said the Boyd could not start the engine with what they found under the hood.

there are some decent pictures on yahoo. this event has really sparked my interest as i talked to my dad last night about it. he told me back then it was a very popular thing to do, time capsules. i think because of the condition there may be alot of early digs in fear of the same. the funny thing i read was the contents with the car. a woman's purse that held a few items but the one that stood out was a bottle of tranquilizers..lol..

they also buried fuel and oil with it thinking that we would not have cars using the fossil fuels in today futuristic time warp! everyone was hoping for their jetpacks i am sure..lol.. the car is rough but as we all know that can be fixed, the only thing i was trying to find out was if that is just gook dried onto the car or surface rust, they filled up the tires and they actually held air. and lastly, my brother told me that somehow the said the water only started getting in about 6 years ago. pretty cool no matter how you look at it, now i wonder who won it?

here are some pics i found the key was rusted in the ignition and the boyd boys could not get it running there is alot of chassis rust the body is in pretty good condition alot of the things that were put inside of the car were destroyed,,,a case of beer,a microfilm,maps,oil,pictures stuff like that....there was another sealed time capsule that was opened and everything in it was found in perfect condition

Attachments

• belv.jpg
    belv.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 30
  • belv1.jpg
    belv1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 18
  • belv2.jpg
    belv2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 20
cut-and-paste-o-matic

TULSA, Okla. -- A concrete vault encasing a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere buried a half-century ago may have been built to withstand a nuclear attack but it couldn't beat back the natural onslaught of moisture.

At a Friday ceremony complete with a couple of drum rolls, crews removed a multilayered protective wrapping caked with red mud, revealing a vintage vehicle that was covered in rust and wouldn't crank.

There were a few bright spots, literally: shiny chrome was still visible around the doors and front fender, and workers were able to put air in the tires.

But the unveiling in front of thousands of people at the Tulsa Convention Center confirmed fears that the past 50 years had not been the kindest to Miss Belvedere.

"I'll tell you what, she's a mess. Look at her," said legendary hot rod builder Boyd Coddington, who was unable to start the thing up as planned.

Event organizer Sharon King Davis, a fourth generation Tulsan whose grandfather helped bury the Plymouth, joked that the car needed a little Oil of Olay to help it out.

In the trunk, workers meticulously pulled out some of the objects buried with the two-door hardtop to celebrate Oklahoma's 50 years of statehood -- a 5-gallon can of leaded gasoline, which went for 24 cents a gallon in those days, and rusted cans of Schlitz beer.

The contents of a "typical" woman's handbag, including 14 bobby pins, lipstick and a bottle of tranquilizers, were supposed to be in the glove box, but all that was found looked like a lump of rotted leather.

Workers also searched for a spool of microfilm that recorded the entries of a contest to determine who would win the car: the person who guessed the closest of what Tulsa's population would be in 2007 -- 382,457 -- would win.

That person, or his or her heirs, will get the car within a week, along with a $100 savings account, worth about $1,200 today with interest.

The elements could not penetrate a time capsule buried with the car. Its top was sawed off and organizers unfolded an American flag -- still bright red, white and blue -- sending a rousing cheer through the crowd.

Other historical documents, aerial maps of the city and postcards, also were in good condition.

Thousands of people had watched as the car was placed on a flatbed truck about noon CDT and driven to the Tulsa Convention Center for the evening event. Some had arrived downtown before 6 a.m. and endured torrential rain just to get a glimpse of the car.

By the time of the ceremony, people were standing on rooftops and looking out office buildings as news helicopters buzzed overhead.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Miss Belvedere," King Davis said before the crane delicately placed the car onto the flatbed.

Only the car's trademark fins were exposed as it came out of the ground, and it was unclear if they were caked with rust or mud.

The suspense was what Pittsburgh car enthusiast Dave Stragand came for.

"It's our King Tut's tomb," Stragand said. "It's like a fairy tale."

Like Stragand, folks who gathered at the site -- many days earlier -- didn't seem too concerned with how the car would look.

"We don't care what condition it's in," said Denver retiree Bob Petri, a car nut who said he was "born with a wrench" in his hand. "It's just the whole idea somebody thought of it in 1957 and here we are living it."

I saw the car today. Anything can be restored, but in this case I'm afraid all that would be left would the stainless, set of glass (with the exception of the vent window Boyd's crew broke getting into the car) and the stainless steel VIN tag.

As I walked around the car, the driver door is rusted through, there is bubbling on every panel, and while the chrome looks shiny on the outer surface these often rust from the inside out (there is usually very little chrome on the back side).

One of the rear leaf springs fell off when the car was raised and from what I could tell from looking at the mirror they had under the car the U Bolts had simply rusted away. I get a feeling the frame is probably pretty thin.

Anything like heavy steel brackets look like they will be VERY heavily pitted if even usable at all. I don't know if anybody noticed last night at the unveiling but the inner trunk reinforcements (or what was left of them) literally fell off into the trunk.

I think on close inspection any exterior panel you will find are too thin to be usable.

Possibly the major engine castings could be reused, but after all this time I'd almost bet you end up with 8 sleeves.

A few days ago I would have been the first say restore it, but on closer inspection I believe there would be so little of the original car left that it would be a travesty to do so. At this point personally I would really like seeing the car preserved in it's as is condition (after steps are taken to preserve it form further decay). And who know that may be what happens. I'm hearing rumblings that both the W. P. Chrysler Museum and 57 Heaven are both interested in buying the car once it's determined who owns it.

Attachments

• C1.JPG
    C1.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 21
  • C2.JPG
    C2.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 25
  • C3.JPG
    C3.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back