cam advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patina

Lately i have been thinking about getting a cam for the 350 that i am putting in my 56 f100. I was thinking about a rv style cam but this is something i don't know alot about. This truck is something i want to drive everyday on and off the highway and i do plan on building a tear drop trailer. So i got a stock 350 with a 700r and i have no idea about gear ratio yet but I am thinking 3:42's or 3:73's. The only thing i plan on doing is putting a 600 elderbrock preformer series carb that i already have and a stock cast iron 283 intake. Some times is nice to get a second opinion about this stuff.

I guess it really depends on what you expect from your engine. It's always tempting to go for a wild cam for that lumpy idle but they really kill the low end power and mileage sucks - but they do sound kool...
Most so called RV cams are generally a step up from stock and are designed to give you more towing torque. One thing I would do is use a dual plane hi-rise manifold like the Edelbrock performer instead of that old 283 manifold, definitely some more power to be had there without sacrificing any bottom end, after all, parts for the SB Chev are the cheapest going. Also be sure to use new matching lifters and valve springs.
Most cam companys will give you a recommendation for cam choice based on the parameters you give them - RPM range, intended usage, rearend gearing, carburetor, transmission, etc.

Your on the right track with the RV cam and either 3.42 or 3.73 would be a good choice with the 700r4.
Gear choice depends on the diameter of the tires you're running too.
Since you don't know much about cams, have someone that knows, put it in and do the break-in for you. This is not something for an amateur.
More cams are lost in the first 5 to 30 minutes of run time than any other time.

this is the cam i was thinking about getting
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Performa...Parts_Accessories&hash=item337d6b961f&vxp=mtr

I want to keep the 283 in take for the oil fill tube. I am not to worried about preformance as this is a daily driver. All i want is to be able to cruise highway speeds and not suffer or lose speed on steep hills with a tear drop trailer in tow. I know a stock 350 should be fine, but since i am changing a fuel injected throttle body style block carb with older style heads and intake i just figured it might be a idea to get a cam. My girlfriend and i will be doing the work she is after building a couple of mild sbc's and just did a 383 for her camaro. I never rebuilt a engine before but i am after doing a few axles. I am not worried about installation or break in.

You could go up to 220 to 230 duration and still have some decent milage and power.

You probably want to do some porting on that cast iron 283 intake also to open it up.

personally I'd look for a different intake. Them stock 4 barrel small displacement intakes around here are going for a lot of cash for what they are.

You didn't say it was a throttle body 350 so, the question is, is it a late enough block to be a factory roller cam ???

Its a non roller block. I'm using the 283 in take becuase it has the oil fill tube and I am trying to dress it up to look like a vintage engine. Aluminum intakes with the oil fill tube seem to run a lot of money. I am not sure of what other information I need to tell but I haven't picked out a torque converter yet.
So do you think the cam I posted the link for will be alright. I don't need a lot of power I just want to be able to daily drive it and not worry about being sluggish on hills or with something in tow.

So do you think the cam I posted the link for will be alright.

In a word, No.. I don't think you'd be happy with it, not sure what stock lift is, but I would guess this one is very close to stock lift, but thats not the problem..It has a lot of adv. duration for the amount of lift..this cam has similiar specs to the old 350hp 327 cam..semi-choppy idle and terrible low end torque due to duration and overlap which bleeds off cylinder pressure..

My personal favorite for a daily is a comp cams 268, but I think the comp 252 would be what you need.. my opinion

In a word, No.. I don't think you'd be happy with it, not sure what stock lift is, but I would guess this one is very close to stock lift, but thats not the problem..It has a lot of adv. duration for the amount of lift..this cam has similiar specs to the old 350hp 327 cam..semi-choppy idle and terrible low end torque due to duration and overlap which bleeds off cylinder pressure..

My personal favorite for a daily is a comp cams 268, but I think the comp 252 would be what you need.. my opinion

The Comp 268 Extreme Energy is the cam in my wifes 56 and we've been very happy with it.
I've never used the 252 but, it can't be a bad choice.

You might think about a Howards Cam. I picked a .450 lift camshaft to try and save the press in studs,along with 224 duration @.050 on a 108 lobe center. Should give you a nice lope and better bottom with tight lobe center. The cam is actually one of the spec cams for 450 lift camshaft rule at some short tracks.

Last edited:
I have been helping people choose cams for many years. With what you are wanting, seeking, and wanting to keep, I concur with our other brothers on here and advise for ou to get the 268H Comp Cam. I have used them for years and have not had one break like the Cranes and Inskys. Another good thing is they check each cam after they grind them to make sure its within specs verses a normal production pro cam. Mellings makes a good cam and lifter combo too for less money. I think its the MTC-1. The Comp cam is a little larger but the Mellings is not a bad cam either. Just my two cents....

Latest posts

Back