Cam?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodFord

Ok guys I have a SBC 350 4Bolt Main, im planing to rebuild.
Im going to be pulling some big loads with this truck but most of the time just drive around. Its a 1940,41 Ford Pu.
I woud die to have this sound tho.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Omj6zxtIB0
Or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-9QYhaA_VA

I had a guy send me this link to some cams
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...creen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=THMSBC

My ? is what is the diff in them? I know its a (&*^ up ? But hey Im new to all of this and I wanna learn every thing I can.

Might want to check out some RV cams if your going to haul stuff.

ISore

This article does a good job of describing how a cam is designed and how it relates to performance. Or you can google "camshaft design" and find a bunch more articles.

camshaft_design

For a rougher idle, hauling and yet preserving some sort of fuel mileage try to stay at or below .450 lift. The higher your lift is the more erratic the exhaust will sound, but it will also be sucking in more fuel.

Higher durations increase the top-end at the expense of the low end. below 235 degrees of duration - better torque. 235-250 - mid-ranges over 260 degrees - top end power.

A lumpy idle and good low end torque don't normally go together - not sure about how those Thumpers are for torque (more for the show crowd I'm guessing). Just run a good cam for torque, put some glass packs on with 3" thin-wall dumps ahead of the rear tires and be done with it. It'll sound meaner than 95% of what's on the street anyway.

BTW, whats a guy named HotRodFord doing with a SBC? :confused: J/K:)

Last edited:
Higher durations increase the top-end at the expense of the low end. below 235 degrees of duration - better torque. 235-250 - mid-ranges over 260 degrees - top end power.

A lumpy idle and good low end torque don't normally go together - not sure about how those Thumpers are for torque (more for the show crowd I'm guessing). Just run a good cam for torque, put some glass packs on with 3" thin-wall dumps ahead of the rear tires and be done with it. It'll sound meaner than 95% of what's on the street anyway.

BTW, whats a guy named HotRodFord doing with a SBC? :confused: J/K:)

LMAO FUNNY!! Well an old lady up the road GAVE me a 1978 chevy Truck, Well come to find out it had a SBC 4Bolt Main A good engine but was last drove back in 92. I got it up hear to the house pulled the engine and its has a lot of miles on it so I've got to rebuild it, Well I have a good friend that gave me a 1940'41 Ford Pu sence he has 9 of em, So I was needing an engine well now I have 1, And all FREE. Im trading the chevy truck for a 9inch Ford Rearend out of a 61 Ford Pu, Its only an inch wider then the 40 axle so thats no big deal. So Far ever thing has been FREE I can use the tans out of the 78, Where I work at there is an old grain truck with a SBC and RamHorn Exhaust so i'll be seeing if I can get that thing to LOL im just luckey thats all. Im going to build a frame so I wont have to F with the old rustey stuff.

I love some things on the 40 and I love other things on the 41, Like the wide chrome strip on the 41 ya don't see many of them, But I love the FORD on the side of the hood from the 40 so its gonna be a 40 41 ford truck lol.

Yea you right about the cam when ya said MORE FOR SHOW I changed my mind on that cam cuz ya have a good point there. On my 71 ford f100 with a 360 I have dules with glasspacks coming out the sides and its one of the most loudest in town, You can hear me coming down the road over a mile away. Im friends with the law in town so they don't say any thing :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back