Camber angles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Washburnin

Ok everybody im building a 35 dodge truck and it currently has a 50's chevy straight axle front end that is suicided via a Lahr's speed shop kit which he makes especially for chevy applications. My question is i put 19" spoke fronts on with the correct brake drums and i dont know if i should use some spacers to create any sort of a camber angle on my front end? It looks great as is but this is my first suicide front end/rat rod build so i want to be certain im building a safe ride. Ill try to attach pictures. Thanks

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/69386352@N08/7064609899/

I think you are talking about caster, not camber. Camber is fixed by the maker of the axle and not adjustable, it is the way the tires lean in at the bottom when viewed dead on from the front.

Caster is the way the kingpin leans back at the top and what makes the car track straight. If that is what you are talking about, the caster should be set somewhere between 4 and maybe 9 degrees. Every car is different and every car builder has their own theory. I shoot for 7 degrees but sometimes after the car settles it might go as high as 10. My 27 is at almost 10 degrees and has been that way for over 20 years and goes right down the road and corners like it should.

If you are talking about something else, sorry, please clarify.

Don

Ya that is it sorry im new at all this my prior rod was a 69 el camino and never had to worry about this. I get most of my information from speedway catalogs and rat rod magazines. Thanks for the clarification. You knew what i was talking about. So u say around 7 for a good safe ride......does make a difference if im running a tall bias ply? Thanks for the help Don.

John

Latest posts

Back