Car auction today!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
It was a sad day today. Huge car auction 45 miles from here. Around 900cars. Pretty much a $350 minimum on everything because of scrap metal prices. The bad news is over half of the cars they sold today will be crushed. If you were there you could have picked up just about any old truck for 350 bucks. And cabs, just cabs were selling for 10-60 bucks. Several 52ish chevy cabs went to the crusher because guys wouldn't pay 10 bucks for them.
Part of the reason is that area of the state still has alot of old farm trucks around. But if scrap prices stay up there won't be many around for long. There were people from all over the country there. The big day is tomarrow, cars with titles, and lots of complete collectable cars, most are unrestored, but all there.
I got to meet the DVAP guys, except for Brian who was left at home to hold down the fort. They bought several cars today.
I bought a bunch of stuff, I'll give you guys a full report when I sort through it. I am going back tomarrow, I'll let you know how it turns out.
http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auctions_pictures.php?detail=26

2-300 bidders there, and still stuff was going to the crushers. I am guessing guys just don't have the space to keep it. ( I did my part). Anyway, pictures tomarrow.

Man, I wished you would have said something earlier. That's not that far from me. I would have run up there with an empty trailer. I've got a Buddy in Montrose I'm gonna call right now.

Okay, what I have picked up so far is two 35 Chevy truck cabs, one is very complete, and one is not, the two will make one really nice truck. A 46 IH (at least that is what I think it is) and about a 46 Chevy 2 ton truck. Also picked up a hood for another project and a top secret project that I will make a new thread about, if you promise to keep it on the DL.

I bought this gem...
newchevytruck2.jpg

Last edited:
I went through every page of the link. I hate to see any of that go to the crusher. There's even some rare stuff in there and plenty that I'd like to stash away.

I hope somebody saves this hemi

Yep, I had a hard time not bidding, when I knew they would go to scrap. But I only own 12 acres, and the neighbors have been really good up to now, I would have to test them.

I'm living in the wrong country!!!:(:(:(

Thanks for the pictures...I just want to cry, why the crusher...why:(

Speaking of wrong country what was this one doing there...it an Austin London Cab!

Attachments

• 128T_1.JPG
    128T_1.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
But if scrap prices stay up there won't be many around for long.

Luckily steel prices are coming down pretty quick now with all metals & hopefully this will slow the rate of crushing down but I know some people here that are rushing to crush stuff because the can see the hand writing on the wall & that's not to say that it won't prices won't head back up after the economy picks back up! Hopefully guys like us will take up the slack!!! $350 a car... man... that just kills me!!! :eek:

Sadly there are lots of old cars getting crushed because that's where they are worth the most. I talked to a crusher last winter who had just crushed over 100 cars from the 30s.

These are people with NO foresight!!! Just imagine what those cars will be worth 5-10 years from now... PRICELESS!!!

I hope somebody saves this hemi

Me too... I can't even imagine this gettin' crushed!!!

BoB

The woody wagon brought 4900.00. There were better prices today, and more people took stuff home with them. The rusty sedan brought 750 bucks. I bought some cowls, and sheet metal from 27-29 Buicks. I did not get any more whole vehicles, but was not trying too hard. The Buick roadster rear deck went for over a grand. My camera died. No pictures, I'll try to get some for you guys tomarrow, I am beat.

Gday all , long time no post ..Bone head well done ,cant save em all.

It was good to see that they put them up for auction and gave the
opportunity to save some,instead of crushing them straight up .

As some are doing ,just have a look at u tube its enough to make a
grown man cry .

price of scrap is high here too ,so a lot of the old tin is going straight
to the crushers for quick cash..

cheers.Brett

Latest posts

Back