car clubs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomech

Mr. Willys
what do you guys think about joining or being in a car club
i found a local car club that is looking for members they hav a small amount of members and some cars that are drivers and some that are still being built
i was hopeing to get some friends that are into rat rods
rat rods are not very big here in arizona i hardly ever see any on the streets or in shows so i was hopeing getting into a club would put me on the fast track thers too many imports and shiny rods here (meby nothing rusts here in arizona) lemme know your thoughts on this subject

I think clubs are ok if they represent themselves well and share the same interests as you do. I don't think I could join one to make friends though. Then I feel like I'm paying to hang out with people. I would hang out with them for awhile and then if I agree with what the club is about I might join.

Too hot to have rats in Arizona, LOL :D (need air conditioning)

I only joined a club once in my life. It was Classic Chevys. Meetings, runs, etc...Only problem was no one wanted to drive their cars. It was me and the president. Everyone else drove their D/D, so I quit. Rat clubs, in my area, are all these young guys that have a uniform of sorts. Black T-shirts, black ballcaps, porks or newsboy hats with the mandatory rolled up jeans. No matter how hot, its black T-shirts. Kinda silly to me and I'm too old for that.

It would be nice to get together with a group of guys to help each other with their cars, but it seems that I always find time to help other guys, but when I need help, suddenly everyone is too busy. Now I've found it's easier to roll by myself and theres no hard feelings.

I would see if you can go and sit in on a few meetings first just to test the waters. I not a member but am affiliated with a local club and have a lot of fun with it there are all very good people and help each other out alot.
There like a big family.

after looking into it more i found out that there is no formal meetings no dues payed they just get together every once in a while and build cars and bbq and drink beer it seems fun and there not far from my home im in talks with them now we willsee how it goes

There's a group of the Poor Boys on here. May Rooster can chime in with some insight. Those guys seem to have a lot of fun with their club. I've never belonged to any clubs myself. I really don't know anybody that's in a car club either.

My dad was in a car club in Cincinnati, Ohio in the 50's. For Father's Day a couple of years ago, I had his club plaque reproduced from a photograph. I have one of those plaques hanging below my tag but the club doesn't exsist anymore.

first off let me say that belonging to the POOR BOYS is kick as*...we all have the same intress in cars,kulture,and all about the same age group...we don't have any due's or mandatory meeting either.:rolleyes:..most of us meet on thursday night cruise in..its a great time,we pull out the chairs..sit and shoot the bull..we have a club function about once a mouth..bbq,work together on a members car,or cruise to a car show.....the cars brought us together but made us all great friends:)....just my two cents about car clubs,some guys like then and other don't...i like being in a national club,would'nt have it any other way.......rooster

Dangerous

rat rods are not very big here in arizona i hardly ever see any on the streets

Moto,
That's because all those rats are pieces of junk & so unsafe they r not able to b driven on the streets... at least that's what I've heard!!! ; - ?

BoB

Moto,
That's because all those rats are pieces of junk & so unsafe they r not able to b driven on the streets... at least that's what I've heard!!! ; - ?

BoB

Hmm ive heard this before...o wait i got it...this is a quote from the H.A.M.B
lol...hmm or its from the az highway patrol o well ill buildit anyway lol:D:D

The club I hang with is not a rat rod,hot rod club but they are all car guys at heart and even thow my rat is not like there cars they all love it and can't wait for me to get it done so i can cruz' with um.
And it might even get voted in,but who knows.

i've thought about it myself but there arn't any good ones around here. the local official clubs are either stuck up or all charity all the time (nothing against charity but sometimes i just want to hang out). The only other people i know look down at everything (even my vette) if it's not an f-body. So lately i've stopped talking to them as i have no plans to buy an f-body and would rather just do what i want. So right now...my club consists of my wife, her little sister, two cats, and two dogs :D.

having said that, i would love to have a group of guys i could just kick it with once a month and work on cars. :D

I joined a club called the "Yakity Yaks".
Thats what we do, yakity yak about cars.
The moto is "No dues, no donts".
We have a T-shirt and a plaque, thats it.
There are a lot of members, but I havnt even met them all.
We joke that the member that stays away the longest, is the President.:D
The trophys that the club wins get passed around.
We meet once a week at this resturant, talk cars and its enjoyable.
We also usually attend the local cruise in on Friday nights.
It was started by a couple guys 16-18 yrs ago.
There are no rules, no dues, nobody telling you your car is wrong, nobody telling you anything and it works well.
At first I was a little dissapointed that it wasnt more formal, like I thought it "should" be, but I see the bueaty in this design now.
It is cool because there is a tight bond.
If your "in the club" everyone treats you special in all situations.
I realy do enjoy it.

You could allways start a chapter of the Yaks in your area.:cool:

The majority of the "Poor Boys" Tampa members are an offshoot of the Saturday morning "Hot Rod Breakfast" That's been going on for some years now. Nothing formal, just guys getting together on Sat. to discuss whatever over a plate of grub. When the "Poor Boys' opportunity came along, most jumped at it. As Rooster said, we've all become good friends because of this and get together all the time. As the weather cools here in Florida, I know there will be lots more activity. The garage/shop parties are a real blast and the ladies enjoy them too.
Nothing wrong with being in a club, just make sure it is what you want. Mike

I belonged to a local club one time and actually became President for one year. When the year was up I couldn't pass the gavel to someone else fast enough. :eek: It was the worst, non paying job I have ever had. I spent every evening on the phone solving some problem some member was having with some issue, and every meeting became a b**** session.

During my tenure I actually did some things that were cool, like having some Sunday picnics/cruises on Sanibel Island, where we invited all the other local clubs to attend. We had some nice big turnouts and beachgoers had an unexpected treat seeing all of these neat cars sitting on the side of the road. A TV station actually showed up one week and interviewed me and my then wife for the news. That was cool.

But I don't think I will join another club. It was hard to motivate people to do anything, and even harder to keep the peace. No one wanted to do any actual work, but expected you to entertain them. So now my license plate frame reads "No Club........Lone Wolf" :D:D

Here are a couple of pictures of the beach cruise with the news guy doing his thing.

Don

Attachments

• my 27 001.jpg
    my 27 001.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 24
  • my 27 003.jpg
    my 27 003.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 24
My club of ONE

What Don said. After tripping over the tounge of my dolly and fallinig off my porch steps on the same weekend we went to a Rumblers show , when asked for my club affilation I write in "STUMBLERS" .

Last edited:
Back