Car or truck... which is less costly/difficult ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixtall

Been doing some thinking .... hope to have something in my empty garage this spring, but it's going to depend heavily on finances. At the moment I have none. Come spring I probably won't have any either but I hear the bank has lots as long as you promise to give it back to them after you borrow it. So, that being said, I'm looking for input from you folks as to which a guy should be looking at, a car or a truck ? My gut instinct tells me pickup truck. Remember, finances will be tighter than bark to a tree. I'm also thinking a truck may be the way to go as cab and box are separate and easier to separate from chassis than a car. Am I right, wrong, or a little of both ? For those of you who have built both, what would you recommend ? I'm also thinking a truck may be less costly to purchase. Am I on the right track with this thought, too ? As always, a ton of feedback is welcome.

It greatly depends on yr range of car or pickup and the style of build your wanting to achieve.In my opinion the older the car or truck ,or rat look, the expense and work would be about the same between a car & truck.Basicly you build it with what you can find for cheap.A more traditional type of build will alway cost more cuz of the parts needed

Gearhead... the cost of a steel bodied car in these parts is out reach for me for what I'd want ( pre-1940) and as far as trucks go I'd say ideally late '40s to mid '50s. Of course I'm open to anything that I could afford/finance/borrow but I still think a truck is perhaps less expensive in these parts. Enlighten me, members, I need feedback.

I am talking 30's cars and truck cabs up into the 50s. 50s cars seem to be a little harder, depending on condition. But then again they are 20 years newer. Usually they are built on the factory frame.

what do you like better? save a little longer if its a car or build the truck now sell it or trade it lateron and do your car they both are a ton of fun tim

The building of a truck is likely going to be on par with building a car money wise. However, I'm gonna say building a truck would be a bit easier in the sence that the build can be broken up into smaller parts. Mock up will be about the same. Building the chassie and suspensions are similar. But then you have a smaller body to contend with, and building a box is pretty straight forward. Unless of course you get all crazy about it like I have. :D Also cabs seem to be more plentiful and cheaper to purchase up front.

The building of a truck is likely going to be on par with building a car money wise. However, I'm gonna say building a truck would be a bit easier in the sence that the build can be broken up into smaller parts. Mock up will be about the same. Building the chassie and suspensions are similar. But then you have a smaller body to contend with, and building a box is pretty straight forward. Unless of course you get all crazy about it like I have. :D Also cabs seem to be more plentiful and cheaper to purchase up front.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for the input and info.

Trucks have less glass, and less upholstery than cars. Plus you can build a flatdeck and run like that until you find a good box. Chassis prep is about the same on either one. Being an old redneck, I prefer trucks.

Trucks have less glass, and less upholstery than cars. Plus you can build a flatdeck and run like that until you find a good box. Chassis prep is about the same on either one. Being an old redneck, I prefer trucks.

R Pope, you're along my line of thinking. Actually, I'm an autoglass installer, so flat glass isn't an issue and as for upholstery I've done a bit of it years ago (glass/upholstery sorta go hand-in-hand in my trade, at least around here), and the flatbed idea is like a blank canvas for an artist. So, really, just the cab would be the concern when it comes to parts-hunting for body stuff. That's where a truck has an advantage over a car.

Yes, trucks are just more bare bones at least the old ones were. Just far less things in them to have to work one. Most trucks have large engine compartment and in general more room and it makes it much easier to work on. The cabs usually have simpler electrical systems, because of less options, far less upholstery usally painted door panels and dashes, no carpet and only one bench seat.

But it also will depend on how far you want to take the build. You can go simple or out of control on both cars and trucks.

i am finally starting work - slowly - on my dodge truck but i wanted to offer 1 bit of advice.

unless you absolutely MUST have this project, please don't finance your way through it. By no means am I trying to sound all "Dad" like. I just know from my own experience after financing 2 bike builds via credit cards that it took me a LOT of extra sidework to pay those damn things off. I am fortunate enough to have been able to pick up freelance web design jobs and over the last few years was able to pay off the 8-9k i put on them, but damn did that suck. I just sold one of the bikes and am doing my best to spend cash only when i can. I mean no disrespect at all to you. I just offer this as a hope to save someone else from the stress I went through. If you own it outright and need to sell it you can. If the bank owns and you need to sell it, well diff story. i know it takes longer but now whenever i go to the garage and look around and realize that I, not the bank, finally own everything in there, it's a great feeling and i can relax and have fun on the builds.

and so far i am about 1500 into mine but i need A LOT more stuff!

best of luck.

Being a minitrucker at heart, this question is easy for me... Truck! They are a little cheaper to build than cars... Plus they look sweet riding down the road w/ just a cab and front end, no bed and a full on custom wicked looking back half frame...

...especially with a trail of sparks...

I haven't built both, but I looked into building both. A truck seemed less costly just from the initial cost of the body as a starting point.

So first off: Are you looking for a ground-up build?

A 30-40's truck cab can run from free to $500 or so, give or take a couple hundred bucks (I am expecting someone to jump in and bitch at me because they spent a grand on their cab, if so, sorry to generalize)

If you are lucky as hell you might get a Model T or A coupe or sedan for that price, but you are looking at $1000 for the body (unless you live in the mid-east, they give **** away out there).

Most shot-ass, bullet-ridden Model A 5 Window bodies go for $2000+, when you can find them. Take a gander at eBay and look if they have Model A coupe bodies on there, whats the reserve? A LOT.

Get in good with a super nice old guy like Bonehead did and have some patience man, you might get something really neat. If not, snag a truck cab for a few hundred bucks and get started.

Good luck!

Where about in Ontario are you? Have you been scanning through Kijiji.com, lot's of stuff on there in our area. Neverwinter has some really good points that a lot of people don't consider. I paid $800 for my Model A and it's cost me well over $20 000 so far cause I forgot to plan a budget:D. Looking back I would pay three times as much for a good body with working doors (I hate doors). I haven't built a truck but I would say it would be easier and cheaper just for the reasons above. Don't overlook the big trucks 1, 1.5,2 tons, most have the same cab as the smaller ones and they go cheap.

Sean

Where about in Ontario are you? Have you been scanning through Kijiji.com, lot's of stuff on there in our area. Neverwinter has some really good points that a lot of people don't consider. I paid $800 for my Model A and it's cost me well over $20 000 so far cause I forgot to plan a budget:D. Looking back I would pay three times as much for a good body with working doors (I hate doors). I haven't built a truck but I would say it would be easier and cheaper just for the reasons above. Don't overlook the big trucks 1, 1.5,2 tons, most have the same cab as the smaller ones and they go cheap.

Sean

I'm between Kitchener and London. My local Kijiji sites (there's several; Kitchener, London, Woodstock, Brantford, etc.) are on my list of daily visits. Still haven't struck gold yet.

Being a minitrucker at heart, this question is easy for me... Truck! They are a little cheaper to build than cars... Plus they look sweet riding down the road w/ just a cab and front end, no bed and a full on custom wicked looking back half frame...

...especially with a trail of sparks...

.......... that's what I was thinking.

Latest posts

Back