Cars in fields..?!?!?!? WTH GIVES..??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffinmaker

Banned
Before I joined here I had cruised several sites..now the one that keeps sticking in my mind..(uh..whats left of it..) was a site where guys posted where they had found cars in barns,fields and everywhere.Now the guy stated that we "Should we save them from being crushed.." One guy posted so many Fords that he didnt have time to take more pics BUT sure as hell didnt say where they were..!!!!!!!!
Now 100% of these guys didnt say where ANY of this stuff was....WTH is with that ****..?!?!?!? I am busting my azz to find a truck and these guys wont even help others..?!?!?!:mad
"Oh I found these on my way by my Grandmas one day"..DUDE...WTH ARE THEY..?!?!?!? Now the guys that post dont leave ANY kind of info to contact ANYONE about these cars and truck and I saw SOME really nice projects sitting in da weeds..!!
I am sorry about this RANT but that **** just ****es me off to no end..!!! I also stopped by 3 houses today to look at old trucks sitting in there yards....same answer..." NOPE,goin to fix er up..!!" Uh POPS....the damn thing is sinking into the ground...!! AARGGHHH....I gotta go smash or break something in the garage....!!!!!

I understand your frustration. I am sitting on about half a dozen old cabs, ( and a bunch of cars) that I got out of fields. Some of the guys I got them from, got them out of fields. What I am saying is, I too "am going to fix them up". Realistically I probably won't get to them all, but some I hope. So those old guys that plan on fixing up those old trucks mean it, for now. There will come a time when they are ready to sell, and you will have to be there at the right time. Just keep looking. I am still looking for a cab for you. I found several in the $800.00 range for pretty much a cab on a frame, but I am looking for a better price. It is going to be plenty expensive for you to make the trip to get one. You would be better off to find a truck closer, and spend more money on it. Check E-bay often as well as craigs list for trucks more local to you. There are a few places I don't want to disclose, I understand that too. The cars are not going anywhere and only a few people know where they are. They are in no danger of being crushed. The ones I will disclose are a local guy who buys and sells, buys low, sells high. And the last ones I got were at auction. I see several throughout the year at different auctions. Hang in there, I looked for my cab for 6 months before I found it. Since then I pick them up when I can.

I understand your frustraion too, but now that I have several cabs (six, all in plain view of the road right now), I have switched roles-now I'm the guy who says, "No they aren't for sale, I'm gonna do something with them someday." After about the 20th guy pulled in my driveway it's given me a lot more respect for those guys who have said that same thing to me.

I know it's not the answer you want, but my advise is to just start looking harder, on-line, drive around, estate sales, check everywhere. No stone un-turned! It'll happen.

I understand your frustraion too, but now that I have several cabs (six, all in plain view of the road right now), I have switched roles-now I'm the guy who says, "No they aren't for sale, I'm gonna do something with them someday." After about the 20th guy pulled in my driveway it's given me a lot more respect for those guys who have said that same thing to me.

I know it's not the answer you want, but my advise is to just start looking harder, on-line, drive around, estate sales, check everywhere. No stone un-turned! It'll happen.
im guilty as charged myself,but at our defence(or in my case)there is not alot of people that will pay what they are worth to someone who owns them.i ran a thread on other sites to share "cars in woods" that where left by my father and caught major slack because of it.so much so,that im scaried to run it here!i also pointed out that i had plenty for sale,but funny thing,no responce!i also want what i cant have,when i find them,but pay respects to those who want to keep 'um.my reasons are 1st:memories/sentimental ,2rd: people freak out and say"thats too high!!!!!", and 3th:my taste changes and i like to have options(and parts!).....i understand "we cant get to them all theory"but if you think about it,the best part about this hobbie is by far "the hunt" and always peeking in peoples back yards...we cant disagree about that!:D

cars in fields

Here is my 2 cents worth, I respect the guy's that are going to fix them up, heck I wish I had a feild full, but to keep this hobby going we need lower priced cars for the new younger crowd that needs to take over for us when we can no longer to do it, dont get me wrong, everybody wants to buy low and sell HIGH, it's the american way, I have made lots of cash on drivers over the years. There is an older man that I see a few times a week at the local waffle house eating breakfast, he had a brother that owned a junkyard from the 50's through the early 80's, when his brother died he was left with everything, closed the old junkyard back in 84/85?? the county got on him last year to clean up the land, he had everything in that old yard, R/T's super-bees, chargers, lots of old muscle cars, and lots of old tin also, from the 30's up, the old man would not sell anything for a reasonable price, if you offered $1,000 he would want $2,500 he would say " if you fix that up you can get $40,000 for it I just saw 1 sell on Barret Jackson " yea but you would have $50,000 in it, anyway he ended up letting a crusher crush eveything at 1 time here about 3 mounths ago, and he was proud to show me a check for $31,000 he made from the scrap, what a crying shame, it worked out to about $125.00 a car, or less, these are the people that kill all of the hobbies, from hot rods to rat rods, maybey this was a $1.00 worth sorry for the long one.

C/maker,
From what i have seen the Dakotas are probably the best area in the country. Guy on another board told of '30's cars grouped on the prarie put there by the Army during ww2 and used for bombing practice using flour bags. Still there. Pulling a trailor and scouting the farms with cash in your pocket is the best but of course gas is expensive now. The big truck cabs are usually the same as the pickups only the fenders being bigger. Another piece of advice, any farmer will trade a cab for a shotgun :D On a scouting trip i found a near perfect Model A pickup cab off the frame in a barnyard in NM, got it for $6. (years ago) The thrill of the hunt can be some of the best memories from your project so enjoy it, make a game of it,document it!

the thing to look at here is that what ever side you agree with,it really is the "scrap iron man" who is taking our dreams away at $.07 a pound,what ive done is work with,and contact,all the local "scrappers" i could find and strike a deal to at least cover there price and gas to get it there.this works very good,although i love the hunt myself,they are the ones who get the call from the people needing cash on metal.i just got a '47 ford w/ extra cab that way.

Field car..my comment..MORE

When I first started this thread I was going to just leave it alone BUT something has been bugging me enough to put MORE of my 2 cents in.I know what some of you are saying BUt some peopel I REALLY dont understand.WARNING....THIS is NOT directed at ANYONE..>!! I see people with those cars and trucks sitting my there houses and always wondered as I had said before.You ask people then the tell the most one of two lines I ALWAYS hear...YEP..going to fix her up...Really POPS..? Well seeing that its sunk into the fricking mud by about 3 feet kinda hard to fix her up..!!
The other one that REALLY makes my f*king mad is the guy who says.."Well whats it worth...? Now you give him a price..( WHICH BY the way is close to what there in some papers for...) WHAT....?!?!?!? HELL man its worth at least 7800.00..!! YEAH..if it was on a f*king trailer with no miles on it..!!!Where did you see where its worth that much..>?!? A HEMMINGS book or watch you local station and saw a Barret/Jackson auction..!?!?!?
If its worth that much why and the f* ck is it still SITTING HERE.?!?!/!?!Why would someone pay SO much for something that you will stick TONS on money into and out build yourself.?!?!? The fenders arent worth ****..half the chrome is missing and rest of it aint much better....glass in either missing or broken..the floor has rotted out so there aint TOO much left worth saving..!!
But you see the guy who stopped by saw something sitting there...( YOU need to SEE a vision before you build..) maybe a project he and his son can start together..or maybe when he was young an uncle had one just like it and he wants to build something like it.85% of the guys who stop really cant afford it because if the COULD..they sure as F*CK would have BOUGHT one already DONE..!!:mad:
But that one guy doesnt have alot of money..hell he will probaly have to borrow most of it to just buy it....BUT he knows he wants it and he knows his wife or girlfriend is going to throw a hissy fit when he brings it home...and the GREEDY f*cks who hold on to them have no common sense.NOPE..they think that turd sinking in the mud is ONE of KIND and there the only one in the world who has the ONLY one ever made.:eek:
I am PRETTY sure 95% on the guys who build on here AINT f*king rich or they sure as hell would be buying those 40 to 50 thousand dollars rides...and NOT trading for parts or hunting in junk yards...Im one of those guys..after going through a foreclosure and bankruptcy there sure as hell aint much left....But I see something..
BUT I am sure I am going to **** alot of people of with this BUT.....

Actually junkyard owners that are packrats and don't really want to part with anything annoy me. Never understand how they stay in business. Here is a small observation of life C/maker.You have seen how some fight traffic from the time they get in their car until they turn off the key. Someone else
driving the same route will glide thru effortlessly without conflict.How boring is that! RAGE ON!!

Why don't you just tell us how you Really feel......

I am glad to hear that you are out talking to people about their junk. You will find something that way given a little time. ( I am still looking)

It's hard to give up on a dream even when there is a slim to none chance that it will happen. Fun to talk to guys about their hopes and plans for an old vehicle tho and talk long enough they might have info about another one they know of.

c-man,you sound sooo upset,i can tell you that im one of those pack-rats,i love all my cars,and can promise that i will never get to half of them,but owning them doesnt mean that they are nothing,its my way of collecting them,saving them from the crusher..i get guys all the time,wanting them so bad for one reason or the next,they going to "put them to good use" because they say im not,in my case,i can tell you if they are serious or not,broke or "time wasters" in the first minute.im not rich by any form,but respect both sides of this fence,people love what they have and love to keep 'em,if they didnt,they would crush.....sorry man,ive got to ask,but...do these cars you ask about have "for sale" signs on them?are they in the paper?are you ready to pay a fair price?people ask for stuff and get hot cause its someone elses choice to keep 'em!i ask too when i see 'em,but i respect there choice when they want to keep em.they are everywhere you look,e-bay,craigslist,sale papers.....if money is a problem,wait till its not.i waited for years to get my '36,it was 1200 miles away,i saved and then got ready....i know an ol' man that would not sale a nut or bolt(believe me,i asked!!) and he was hated for it,but 30 years later his kids,and grandkids,are "hot rod" owners,thank god he held on to 'em...also,it doesn't seem what you are looking at is worth saving,even in your eyes,so why ask about something "burried in the mud" or a basket case?be patient like all these guys are saying,nothing could be more true,it will come...

I've seen all kinds too. In Texas it was Imona(as in Imona fixer up someday) or that was my daddy's. The bottom line is that as long as they own it they have every right to let it rot into the ground. Really, if it was mine I would probably rather look at it every day until I die too if it has been setting there, rather than look at the hole where it used to be just to pocket a few bucks that will be gone before you can blink.
A few years ago there was a junkyard here that closed, had 1000s of 60s and up stuff. Everyone complains that it all got crushed but they had an auction and started every car at $140 becuase they figure that was scrap value. Less than 10% of the cars even got a bid.
Bottom line is, I don't think I have any right to be indignant with someone for what they do with their own property, whether I agree with it or not.
Hoarders are the ones that bother me the most.

its a fine line with this type of hobbie,ive got a nice little collection over all these years,even so that my wife said she would leave if a got "one more piece of junk",now that is the real enemy,coffin-man!(l.o.l)...i love to keep 'em,ive sold and try to sell a few,and i too am not shy to ask when i find them.its sad to check back 1 or 2 years later and they say"oh man,i sold it for scrap!":eek:so i will ask over and over....the point is we all want to make something to spin the tires,and we like to do it on a budget......

Latest posts

Back