Cause of Carb flooding

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh yeah, you playin with rodchesters? those will run super rich if the float is too high all the way thru from idle up.
lower the float and do the 1-1/2 turnsout on the jets then adjust for your alt.

i actually love rodchesters i find there more tune able than most. but thats just me.

agree with dogpatch

Dogpatch is right. First bottom out the airscrew. My advice though would be to adjust it in 1/4 turns (time consuming but ensures you will get it right). When your too lean the carb will kind of "hick up" jerk/noise. With no time at all you should be back on the road. Good luck!

Finally got it to run on 1 carb and not flood. The power piston was stuck, so I fixed that. The rebuild sheet says to set float height at 1 9/32" which I did initially. Final setting at 1 7/16" now not flooding.

hey dmw56, is that a new float? and does it float in water? just wondering if maybe its sinking also use of a vacume gauge while adjusting the idle mixture screw will be a great tool in setting a/f. just a couple thoughts. dp1

hey dmw56, is that a new float? and does it float in water? just wondering if maybe its sinking also use of a vacume gauge while adjusting the idle mixture screw will be a great tool in setting a/f. just a couple thoughts. dp1

No the floats are the old ones, but I did check them to see if they float. I'll dig out the vacuum gauge to check a/f. Set to the highest vacuum reading?
Maybe it's an altitude thing. I had to rejet all my cars when I moved here from 90 ft. altitude, now at 6,800 ft. at the house.
Thanks dp1, I'm used to Carters, Holleys and Edelbrocks. I did used to use a Rochester 2g when circle track racing then went to 2 bbl 500cfm Holley.

sure, hope we can fix it. some of the old "black floats" tend to sink after about an hour in the water if the are getting soft usually some of the black will rub off on your fingers if thats the case, also if its a brass float it may take a while to "fill up also and not sink right away.

as far as a vac gauge goes, yes i set the mixture screws in and then slowly turn em out a1/4 turn at a time until highest rpm is reached, then adjust idle back down and keep adjusting screws until a slight miss(leanmisfire) is felt then go back in 1/4 turn.

also keep in mind a steady vac guage reading indicates smooth valve-timing

off subject how far south of 66 are you i am makeing the trip from the beginning of 66 all the way to the coast(as much of the old road as i can find) in my rat "orangecrush' this summer. hope to meet up with some of the guys on here and other rodders along the way.

hope this helps on the carbs, george, dp1

sure, hope we can fix it. some of the old "black floats" tend to sink after about an hour in the water if the are getting soft usually some of the black will rub off on your fingers if thats the case, also if its a brass float it may take a while to "fill up also and not sink right away.

as far as a vac gauge goes, yes i set the mixture screws in and then slowly turn em out a1/4 turn at a time until highest rpm is reached, then adjust idle back down and keep adjusting screws until a slight miss(leanmisfire) is felt then go back in 1/4 turn.

also keep in mind a steady vac guage reading indicates smooth valve-timing

off subject how far south of 66 are you i am makeing the trip from the beginning of 66 all the way to the coast(as much of the old road as i can find) in my rat "orangecrush' this summer. hope to meet up with some of the guys on here and other rodders along the way.

hope this helps on the carbs, george, dp1

The floats are the copper ones, when I've pulled them out they didn't have any gas in them so I don't think they are leaking. But they are still giving me problems. I'm about ready to find some Carters or Holleys. The Rochester curse strikes again!

I live about 25 miles East of ABQ and about a couple miles North of Old 66. There are 2 routes through NM a pre 1936 or 1939(I think) Route and post 1936 route. We are on the newer redirected route. A section of the "Mother Road" starts in Moriarty, NM about 15 miles East of us and goes West through ABQ to continues West about 10-15 more miles. So a good 60+ miles. If you go through Moriarty stop at Archie Lewis' museum/yard. Here's a link to some pictures http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4218

Let me know when you're headed this way.

Latest posts

Back