Check out this Rig Job! WTH!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTS Rob

Got a sweet deal on a full set of fiberglass fenders, so I pulled my front end apart and found the mother of all Rig Jobs! Your eyes are not deceiving you... The radiator support is "loosely" bolted to the power steering pump! There was no fender support tie rod either, which was the first clue that things were way out of whack. This along with one of the sloppiest cuts I've ever seen on the frame horns. I went to HD and got a bunch of slotted angle iron and assorted brackets. I'm going to fab an all new radiator support to the S10 chassis and maybe fab a full tilt front end. Anyway, enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 187
Shot of disassembled front end.

Shot with the fender off. Here you can see the cowl panel de leaded and getting ready to be replaced.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 107
Some people shouldn't have tools. Not being picky Rob, but that is the steering gear.

Well.... a least it wasn't zip-tied to a brake line? :eek:

It sure as hell wouldn't surprise me of it was! All the while as I'm repairing this beast, I have a guy who keeps trying to buy it from me. I could actually make a little money on it, but I think I'm addicted to it. I can't seem to stop buying parts and repairing things. And as I do, my possible profit margin is quickly decreasing. I originally bought this truck to do some easy repairs and flip. I figured I would learn a lot in the process which would be utilized on the next truck. But now I don't know if there will be a next truck, I really like working on this one. I don't know if I can let it go now.

My last build became my mistress as my wife named "her" . I fell in love and just wont let her go. Don't worry it gets worse the more you bring home. [cl

Wow, I've done a couple S10 swaps and looked at lots of others and I have never seen something that crazy to get around the radiator support/steering box dilemma... That is amazing considering the radiator support holds the whole front end up. That is just :eek:

I'm trying to decide wether to use slotted angle steel to build a structure to support the radiator and fenders to the firewall erector set style, or use an adjustable cable system to replace the missing threaded support rod that went to the firewall. I really want the front end to be solid, yet easily and quickly removable. That's why I was thinking about a tilt nose, but if I can do a sort of quick release fender / grille setup; that would work to. I thought about more modern cars that have a strut tower brace across the engine bay, I could maybe fab something like that to tie and align the fenders to each other. Right now the hood and grill appear to be off center to the passenger side, so I need to square everything up and get the hood to seat flush on both sides too. Fun, fun, fun...

The way the front of the AD trucks are made they come off pretty easy anyway... just a few bolts at the back of the fenders, unbolt the strut rods from firewall and a couple bolts under the radiator support. I just modded the factory radiator support and kept it simple.

The way the front of the AD trucks are made they come off pretty easy anyway... just a few bolts at the back of the fenders, unbolt the strut rods from firewall and a couple bolts under the radiator support. I just modded the factory radiator support and kept it simple.

Beautiful work. You should post the dimensions to help others from making bad decisions.

Wow, really makes you wonder as to what else the previous owner half a**ed. Good luck on settin' her straight again.

-Chris

Yes dimensions and angles would be incredibly helpful! Thanks for the pics though.

Well I'd be happy to but I sold the truck already. You can check out my build thread which might give you few more shots of it that might help you figure your's out.

Here's my build thread, it's actually 2 builds in 1 thread, I did a 48 the 1st time then a 53 the 2nd time. The radiator support pic above is is from the 53 build. Here ya go:
http://www.killbillet.com/showthrea...-s10-frame-(step-by-step)&highlight=step+step

Latest posts

Back