chevy 300ci conversion help!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieselratrod

My uncle has a 1952 chevy 1/2 ton truck that he restored a few years ago. It has the original 3500 series inline 6 motor with a 3 on the tree transmission.

He has a friend that is trying to sell him a rebuilt chevy 300ci motor and is saying he should swap motors and get a few more ponies under the hood. the friend is asking $300 for the motor.

I know we are going to need a different transmission correct? is there a trans out there that can bolt up to the 300ci and it still be 3 on the tree? i dont think hes going to want to put a hole in his floor board. and if you know where we can find a trans for sale that would be great.

and im sure we are going to have to reposition motor mounts right? are there kits out there? or will we have to fabricate our own?

your advice and help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Dieselratrod

now ive never heard of a 300ci small block nor have i ever heard and inline 6 called a 3500 series. im going to look into what the motors actually are and see if my uncle heard something different.

after looking some things up im guessing that his motor is the 216ci and what he means by "3500 series" he means it has a 3.500” (88.90mm) bore. does that sound correct to you? i still have no idea what kind of motor this guy is trying to sell my uncle. ill keep you informed.

Original would be a 216. The 235 and 261 engines will bolt up and possibly the GMC 270 and 302 six engines too. All later Chevy sixes (63 & up ?) - 194, 230, 250, and 292 have a different bellhousing bolt pattern. No such thing as a Chevy 300 six that I know of..[S

Get the number off the block, and look it up on the chevy site. I believe the fella was probably meaning a 292 or 302. But you should verify your numbers. They should bolt up as long as its within the same family. As long as it isn't the early off-the-wall motor sizes....[P

engine id

Probably the 292 6-cylinder a 302 is a V-8 engine Ford made a 302 V-8 and Chevy made a 302 DZ engine only available in the Z-28 and if you get your hands on one of them you have a gold mine.:cool:

Latest posts

Back