Chevy BB on the shelf 20 yrs.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericp

I built this 396 when I was in high school for a Camaro I was trying to turn into a dragster. I was a dumb kid. Spent all my money on the engine and had to sell the car. Since then it's been sitting in my dad's garage on an engine stand. Had several offers to buy it but always hung onto it in hopes of getting to actually put it in something.

Now I'm older and slightly less stupid. I've got a couple of car projects going and I want to use this engine. It was so long ago when I built it that I've forgotten what size the pistons and cam are, but I know the cam lobes are pretty big. Has solid lifters that I know will need to be changed out for the street. I'll definitely need to check valve clearance again.

Here's the question... I had it stored with a carb and a distributer sitting on it to keep anything from falling in, but at some point someone took them off and some bugs and grit have gotten into it. I was surprised to see how well the inside of the engine actually looked after sitting around so long, but there was some grit sitting on top of the pistons and some rust around the intake valves. So, other than reworking the heads, could I get away with a thorough cleaning or am I gonna have to break everything down and get the block hot tanked again? Any other worries I should have with an engine that's been sitting so long and not turned over?

Also...

Seems like small blocks are the norm for these fenderless rods. Are there draw backs to using a big block? Other than cramming it in there. I'm going to box the frame, but are there other issues I should be concerned about? Too much torque?

Thanks.

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

I think if it was my engine I would pull it back apart and have everything cleaned.I would also put a more streetable cam and lifters in it along with new rod and main bearings,oil pump and gaskit set.As for the SBC being the "norm" in fenderless rods,that maybe true but I would rather have the BBC just because it's not the "norm".To me there is nothing better than the BBC.Good luck on whatever you do and keep us posted.

Fat motors are the way to go ! BBC is my engine of choice . I noticed you have rectangle port heads , Nice , you don't see many of those anymore . I am assuming you have the open chamber heads by the look of the dome on the pistons . I agree with everone else on the cam . Get a nice big hydrolic shaft , not a solid lifter . Keep in mind you are not building a nascar engine that has to live 500+ miles @ 9500 rpm , if it were me I would just clean it up myself, blow it out real good , maybe pop the valves out and run a wire brush through the ports and clean the valves . Remember it's not rocket science , it's an engine that's made to run , think about the inside of a 90k mile junk yard engine , most people would'nt hesitate to put one in a car if it "runs " . You know it is not going to be spic and span on the inside , run it and change the oil after a few minutes , I'm sure it will be fine ! :)

To be on the safe side you should pull it apart and clean everything up. Reassemble with good assembly lube and reuse the rings and bearings since they haven't been run. I would not put hydraulic lifters on a solid lifter cam. Probably should install a milder cam for the street. Pistons look like they have alot of dome so compression mite be a bit high for pump gas.
Big block or small block or what ever in a hot rod is just personal preference, we use what is available. Good luck and keep us posted. :D

I'll drop a new cam and lifters in there. And If I'm going to the trouble of breaking everything down, might as well put new bearings and rings in it.

THANKS, GUYS!!

I agree different is always good!

The only potential issue with a big block I see is cooling, depending on how big a grill you are going to use and therfore how big a radiator you can stuff in it. I'm guessing it's plenty hot in Tennessee, so I'd invest in a multi-row radiator and the biggest elec. fan you can fit on it.

I'm basically in the same boat. Bought a crate engine made in about 1979, but it was never started. It sat in a high school auto shop collecting dust. There are openings that *might* have been the entrance for who knows what. Remember, 30 years of high school boys being, well, high school boys. Cant take the chance, gotta pull it apart. One thing someone else pointed out is that when valve springs sit in the same position for 2 or 3 decades they tend to want to stay in less than original, relaxed shape.
So, even though these motors are basically new, they werent sealed and therefor must be verified as to contents. It will give you a chance to put new lube on bearings and such. You wouldnt believe what assembly lube looks like after just 10 years without being run. I tore apart a 327 like that and the lube looked like your frying pan 4 hours after cooking bacon on a cold day.
Here are a few shots of my "new" '79 Buick 350.

I was looking at your pics again, especially those closed chamber heads. Looks like you're gonna want to pull those apart and clean up the chamber area, as well as the valves themselves. Sure, it's sort of tempting to slap it back together, pour in the oil and fire it up, but a few stinkin' grains of sand in there could compromise everything. Believe me, I feel your pain.

Just smack the valves with a mallet and blow the cylinders out with compressed air and run it.:D

Latest posts

Back