Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ReoFrameStart006.jpg

Here's the frame running through the body. Looks like I'll need a dropped floor and the seat will be the top of the frame. Otherwise , no head room.

After careful eyeball measurements it appears the original rear frame design will not work. Too much of a kick up needed. It is very likely I will build an under slung frame in the rear with the springs above the frame. The rear tires will be at least 30" tall so getting the frame under the rear end won't be a problem.

(There's a couple new pics on Page 8)

Last edited:
looking good bob... the 29 chevy frame section looks to be about the same as my 36 frame I used.. and I did section it under the cab

IMGP1180.jpg

I've been cruising the interweb checking out under slung rear suspensions. It is not real common but there were production vehicles that used this design. Here is a Triumph frame. It is what I'll model my rear suspension from.

Corpo, thanks for the information.

ReoUnderslung002.jpg

I have a few pairs of Chevy AD truck frame rails. The rear of those rails has a nice little hump that will serve well in an under slung application. One of my Wed. lunch buddies, Titus from the H--B site saved a pair of springs with the mounting forgings for me. These should work well with a few leaves removed.

The white can represents the rear axle. The back of the body would be to the left just in front of the spring mount. The springs will be set outboard of the frame rails.

One objective of this build is to have all the parts look as if they were used on an old car. No home made or purchased components in the frame, steering and suspension. I want it to be very hard to tell in what decade the car was built.

A bunch of those Brit sports cars used underslung frames and they handled pretty good too - it will sure save a lot of space above the rear end without the big kickup in the rails.

ReoAxleFlip003.jpg

All the rear suspension stuff is at Jerry the Sandblaster's. I dug the '40 Plymouth truck front axle out of the pile and took it all apart. It originally resided in the truck I built last year. In order to get the front low enough I "flipped" the axle today. Made pads for the bottom of the axle to relocate the springs. The original mounting flanges on the top of the axle will be cut off. Note: more welding to be done later.

Damn Bob! You have been busy. I saw the first pile O sheet metal and then didn't check back in until now. Well, I am subscribed now! nice work. [P[P

ReoUnderslung011.jpg

Finished the brackets that mount the rear springs. You are looking at the underslung orientation as it will be installed. As weight is added to the frame the gap between the spring and frame "kick down" gets bigger.

ReoUnderslung013.jpg

The cast mount is from a Ford F-1 or F100. The mount was cut out of 4" angle iron 1/4" thick. All cutting was done with a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel.

ReoUnderslung014.jpg

The shackle in the rear sits upward. It's a little hard for me to visualize how this works. But I have faith...

ReoRearFrame004.jpg

Spent a few hours squaring up the rear frame sections, welding holes and preparing the rear of the body so they could be put in their intended position.

At this point I I wanted to go in the back yard to puke. This looks awful.

008-1.jpg

But I pressed on. I positioned a wheel in the intended position. Then set the trunk on the back. It will sit about an inch and a half lower than shown. The round gas tank is too shot to use but a tank of undecided shape could go there.

I have not sold myself on this arrangement.

Are you doing anything with the frame that is behind the rear wheels? It looks like with the gas tank even with the rear wheels the rest of the frame is just hanging out there unfinished or just to hang the spring on. I am not trying to rip your design, but the rear frame needs some shaping or covering. With your talent you will figure out something.

Sawzall, the rear shackle sits on top of the frame rail about 5" behind the wheel. All the parts you see are just stacked there. For the first time. The plan is/was to stick a gas tank down between the frame rails, like a '32 Ford. But that leaves a big void behind the trunk.

I anticipate a lot more parts juggling before a final arrangement is reached. I knew this one would be a challenge with the wheel so far behind the cab. If it doesn't work out a switch to quarter elliptic springs will shorten up the frame in the rear.

Latest posts

Back