Chop Opinions - partII

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Gastrick suggested I use a side shot. So... opinions if you please.

4"chop, no section
choptestc-4s-0sm.jpg

4"chop,3"section
choptestc-4s-3sm.jpg

4"chop,5"section
choptestc-4s-5sm.jpg

5"chop,3"section
choptestc-5s-3sm.jpg

5"chop,5"section
choptestc-5s-5sm.jpg

6"chop,5"section
choptestc-6s-5sm.jpg

4"chop,4"section - panel:D
choptestc-4s-4deliverysm.jpg

From what little I know about sectioning, it is a huge job. Sure would hate to see the project stall because, like Humpty Dumpty, it would take massive work to get it back together. If it was mine, I'd do the chop and drive it before considering the section job.

I've wondered if you intend to bag it to get it off the ground enough to drive those "smooth" Davenport streets.

Very impressed with your work so far.

whatever the choice it will be a massive amount of work . That would be a major undertaking for even a seasoned bodyman . My hat is off to you for even considering sectioning a car of that size . make sure you stock up on welding wire and grinding wheels . All joking aside if you chop and section it , it will look awesome and no one else will have one like it .

Sam, I really like the look of the panel, but like it was said before, I would seriously reconsider the section job. Your car may be out of commission longer than you anticipate! That looks to be a SERIOUS undertaking. I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of it, but just make sure you're comfortable with doing that large of a project!:D...CR

The side shot really makes a difference. I recant, my previous opinion, I like the 4 inch chop as well. It probably does not look as mean from the front as a 6 inch chop, but the side view goes away with a big chop. ( I like the panel idea too).

4" chop.. mild section 2-3" if you choose to do it...

And the panel is very cool..

Chop, section and pancake the hood on a 4 door torpedo back sedan. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.
Look at the windshield sides where they start to curve back in, that will tell you how much to remove and give you the best fit when you drop everything back down. May save you a ton of work on the A pillars.
Also think about where your door latches are gonna land when you section it try not to cut through the heart of them.
I personally like it when the wheel openings are moved up the same amount as the section. Puts them way at the tops of the fenders.
And what about your grill? Are you gonna remove a few bars and narrow it, or just channel it intact over the core support.
Ow, my head hearts. I like it though. Should look sinister.:D

I lean towards a 4 or 5" chop with no section. A mild section looks good but a lot of work for such a suttle change and I dont care for the 4 or 5".

Latest posts

Back