chop top glass-help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldskool

I have never done a chop, but after looking at every ones work, I think I might could do this(I have been over confident before though:D). I have a question that I need answered before I grab the saw. I will need to replace the glass on my sons `56 f100 anyway(might as well chop it![cl) where would i get the front glass if i chopped it 5''(remember the `56 is curved front glass) the other glass is flat.

First off, the truck being a 56 ford. It is the only model year with that curved glass. Probably not to easy to find. Anyway, the best thing to do is get the glass cut first because its curved. Then chop the top to fit the glass. There are probably one or two guys within a days ride of you that will cut the glass.

good tip for these guys considering chops with curved glass. pretty much the same way we do (did) it in back in the day. Another method for chopped tops with curved glass, if there is enough room. You can sink the forward part of the cowl/dash into the firewall. Eliminating the need to cut the glass. Then you just glue a new piece of window rubber along the line where you want the new bottom windshield edge to be.

Interesting vid, picked up a few tips. I really like their idea of using the roloc wheel for triming the glass afterwards. However his technique, in his words, can take all day is something I find most customers won't like to pay for. That could very easily be a $1000 window by the time it's installed. The techinque I outlined can be accomplished in about 2 hours for a window like that in the video. Easily half the price.

I know were there is a 56 pickup that was chopped with out fitting the windshield first. The top ended up to wide and he had to build panels from the posts to the windshield. I doing not like the way it looks.

First he tried selling it for two years. But because of the windshield issue it would not sell. So he made the windshield fit. One problem is that there is a large blind spot were he built the panels. It I see it again I will try to get pictures.

I know were there is a 56 pickup that was chopped with out fitting the windshield first. The top ended up to wide and he had to build panels from the posts to the windshield. I doing not like the way it looks.

First he tried selling it for two years. But because of the windshield issue it would not sell. So he made the windshield fit. One problem is that there is a large blind spot were he built the panels. It I see it again I will try to get pictures.

Id like to see that, the sides shouldnt have been effected in the chop if he did a sectional chop.

wonder if he just cut and dropped instead of sectioning the top, I could see where a person would be tempted to since the "a" post are up and down?

I haven't read in detai every post so if this has been mentioned feel free to kick me in the nads. Can you just tape off the glass and use a strong sand blaster with a fine tip to cut the glass at least close?

aaaaaaaaaauugh......... boot. :D

Please read my post earlier in this thread and go to the link provided.

Sorry, but after all the years I've been on this site, and others, I keep hearing the same comments about cutting glass, and it drives me crazy because I've been taught just how easy it can be once you've learned the techique. I've reposted my link more times than I can count but nobodies listening. :rolleyes:

The last guy that I met personally who thought sandblasting was the way to go told me he went through 5 new windows before he had my buddy (who taught me) cut it properly. :rolleyes:

Rodguy1 - for most of us homebuilders our time is free. The one thing that appeals to me with the roto-zip process is the idea of cutting all through at one time. Where as the 'traditional' way is a top and bottom cut and then a slice of the plastic. From an outsiders point of view (I've never cut auto glass), that seems to be a lot more chance for stupid mistakes ending it badly. Maybe the same chance for failure is there either way, but if it comes down to time over risk, I'd rather take my time.

I may give glass cutting a shot because I just like trying everything, but odds are I'll wind up going somewhere. And if I do try myself, I'll be asking you for direction. Personally I can see myself trying to go a little to fast or taking a little to big of bite and then ... FAIL! I know how I can be. :eek:

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for posting that link. I'd never seen that tech before. Good stuff!

Rodguy1 - for most of us homebuilders our time is free. The one thing that appeals to me with the roto-zip process is the idea of cutting all through at one time. Where as the 'traditional' way is a top and bottom cut and then a slice of the plastic. From an outsiders point of view (I've never cut auto glass), that seems to be a lot more chance for stupid mistakes ending it badly. Maybe the same chance for failure is there either way, but if it comes down to time over risk, I'd rather take my time.

I may give glass cutting a shot because I just like trying everything, but odds are I'll wind up going somewhere. And if I do try myself, I'll be asking you for direction. Personally I can see myself trying to go a little to fast or taking a little to big of bite and then ... FAIL! I know how I can be. :eek:

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for posting that link. I'd never seen that tech before. Good stuff!

Thanks for the compliment Sam. I totally get the jist of "it's just my time" I do it all the time myself. That's why I learned to cut glass.....because it always seemed to be such a boogie man thing for myself and everyone else that wanted to chop their roof. Now if I may point out a couple more things concerning costs and the chance of fail. I really liked a couple things they did in that video. First was the soft clamps, which I think would be just as usefull for the way I do it. Also, using the roloc wheel to dress the glass. Very good idea there. However, he also has a pretty sizable investment in a good router, the dimond bit, and that pump system. The fact that it could be an all day job really got me as well, as I also feel that the chances of breaking the glass go up exponentially the longer the time you spend trying to cut it. I can get the job done in far less time with a $10.oo cutting tool. Can you imagine being on the same window for 8 hours, just to break it in the last three inches. To me it just seams like thier making rocket science out of just good old fashion glass cutting, and being in business I have to concider what is cost effective. Most glass is relatively cheap. On average anywhere from $80 to $150 (wrap around glass is a different story) Flat laminate is almost as cheap as dirt. The real cost is in the labour. So I can afford to break one or two and not loose my shirt. Just the profit margin. :D
So when you guys are shoping for someone to cut glass for you ask lots of questions. Even before you chop your roof, because a good glass tech will understand what's needed and will have good advice for you.

Latest posts

Back