chop top tips?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rekclas

Hey i'm working on a 1966 f100 and want to chop the top on it a few inches and just wanted know if anyone has any tips or knows about how much it will cost to get the glass made to fit. Thanks

Tex Smith's "How To Chop Tops". It's a staple in any hot rodders library.
Buy it. Live it. Love it.

1878772074.jpg

Me and a buddy chopped my 37 chevy a few years back and I can't tell you how many times we referenced that book!.It was well worth the money I spent on it..[cl Likewise I'll say..Measure, measure,and measure again, check your marks and measure again! A few extra minutes measuring and double checking will save you HOURS of work later trying to make unnecessary repairs...:D...Good luck whatever you do and if you run into a problem there's no better place than here for help.....CR

well for the glass im going to find some that can cut i just have to cut the truck itself. its my first project on my own so im making sure that i do it right, i'll get some pics posted tomorrow

What he said!

Plan, plan, plan, plan, measure, measure, measure, measure, and measure again! Cut it then weld it back up.

Did I mention planning and measuring?

What he said! Also learn to weld thin sheet metal before you start on the real thing. Be very careful to cut the pieces in a straight line so they'll go back together well.

Beercan

i chopped 31/2 inches out of a 66 merc pick up a few years back i will post up some pics. no big secrets to choppin them just like the guys say measure and brace. drill out the spot welds and remove the interior trim pieces that are between the back window and doors it makes things alot easier. dont leave them in it makes it way harder to metel finish and aline, chop them later and re install. thats the only tip i have for ya.good luck[P

Latest posts

Back