Chrome Paint?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmachado

Anyone on here had any experience ,and could possibly provide pictures, with using chrome paint? I want to paint my front axle because it will be

1 Cheaper
2 Easier
3 I can take it off later if I don't like it

However, I only know what's advertised in places like Eastwoods and of course they're peddling it.

Thanks
JP

I tried the stuff years ago. I'm talking sometime around the late 80s or early 90's. Not sure if it the same.

Looked great. But if you polish it or clear coat it. it would dull out.

The only thing that really looks like chrome is chrome itself, but some of the paints and powdercoating finishes don't look horrible. They are more silvery looking. I've seen some suspension pieces for a motorcycle that were powdercoated in what they called chrome and they were ok, but lacked the true look of chrome that we have all become accustomed too,

Even chrome today isn't what it was years ago........the EPA and others have taken all the good stuff out of the process. I have some chrome parts on my 27 that were done 20 years ago and the chrome is deep and still looks great today. Stuff we had done more recently just is way different.

Don

The only thing that really looks like chrome is chrome itself, but some of the paints and powdercoating finishes don't look horrible. They are more silvery looking. I've seen some suspension pieces for a motorcycle that were powdercoated in what they called chrome and they were ok, but lacked the true look of chrome that we have all become accustomed too,

Even chrome today isn't what it was years ago........the EPA and others have taken all the good stuff out of the process. I have some chrome parts on my 27 that were done 20 years ago and the chrome is deep and still looks great today. Stuff we had done more recently just is way different.

Don

agree! i call it dirty chrome!

Don

NOT TRUE ! ! !
Google Spectra Chrome

yes the spectra chrome looks ok in pictures, not sure how it looks in person, but it costs almost as much as chroming if you have to by the kit and equipment,actually cost a lot more. unless you have it done by someone who does it,would be cheaper then chroming .

unfortunately pictures always look better than the real item! I also have chrome on my bike that is 25 years old and I can't find anything in todays chrome that will come close to the look of that old stuff...CR

Apparently these bikes were a hit at SEMA and looked as good in real life as they do in pictures.

image%20(4).gif

image%20(2).gif

I was sent a promotional DVD of the process and it's an amazing product. Yes the cost of the equipment to get yourself set up is high but once you're set up it would pay for itself in a couple jobs. There's nothing like it here in the Maritimes and would draw in all the young tuner and crotch rocket crowd , not so much the hotrodders.

NOT TRUE ! ! !
Google Spectra Chrome

Have you personally used it or know anyone who has? Until I see some feedback from knowledgeable people who have used it and say it has been on for a long time and still looks good, I will stick to my original statement.

You notice in their ad they say "chrome LIKE". The only way you can achieve the true depth and luster of chrome is to go through the three steps that we all pay so dearly for. I agree about the tuner crowd probably thinking it is cool.

Don

Have you personally used it or know anyone who has? Until I see some feedback from knowledgeable people who have used it and say it has been on for a long time and still looks good, I will stick to my original statement.

You notice in their ad they say "chrome LIKE". The only way you can achieve the true depth and luster of chrome is to go through the three steps that we all pay so dearly for. I agree about the tuner crowd probably thinking it is cool.

Don

They claim it's chip proof.
But like you say, I too would like to see it first hand and see if it's a good as they claim it to be.

Thanks for all the feedback. Any suggestions on an axle color to go with a gloss black chassis, other than the obvious of just sticking with gloss black. Thanks

spray on chrome

A friend of mine brought a sample back from a swapmeet he attended in Kansas a while back and it looks good enough that he is thinking about using it on his Edsel bumpers. The guy had applied it to pieces of ceramic tile of all things and it looked really good. The difference between modern chrome and older is the types of chemicals they are allowed to use here in the states. Hexavalent chroming has pretty much been outlawed and trivalent chroming just doesn't have the deep blue luster that the older methods produced. My 50 Ford Grille that I had chromed last year has an almost black rather than blue background cast to it which looks close to what the ceramic sample does that my friend brought back. The shop is located in southwest Missouri, I will get the address and post it later. The upside of using this spray process is cost, Floyd was quoted $600 each for the 4 bumper pieces for chrome and the guy said thay could be spray chromed for $100-150 each.

Latest posts

Back