Chrysler Tub Found!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
CrackedTub002.jpg

In the back corner of my back garage there sat for the last 3-4 years this rusty hulk. Finally, a couple days ago I unpiled all the parts that had collected under, around and on top of it & started a little repair work on it.
Last time I used it the Q-jet starting squirting gas in the air like Old Faithful. I put a new in-line fuel pump on it and did some work on the carb but never got it back together.
This spring I bought a used Edelbrock Q-jet. So I threw that on it today. Bought a new battery and it fired right up and ran good.
Oh boy, there's a few rat rod shows in the area this fall and now I'll be ready for them.

CrackedTub003.jpg

That is...until I started putting water in it and it ran out the side of the block.

Obviously, I never drained the block when I quit working on it and pushed it in the corner for the long sleep. That is deadly to cast iron in this northern climate. It is a large journal 327 so a 350 block will work. Just don't know if I am up to all the work with the heat wave and the two other car projects that are going on.

Cool ride Bob!!! Rebuild time is always a good opportunity for more juice!! Or, pour about 4 jugs of Barsleak in and see what happens. I had a 223 Ford with a crack all the way along one side and it barely stayed wet after I started using it. I did eventually get a different block tho.

Geez, Bob, how many cool cars do you have up there ??? [cl That thing is very neat. I love the Plymouth caps on it too.

Too bad about the block, but you've tackled tougher ones that that.

Don

Just don't know if I am up to all the work with the heat wave and the two other car projects that are going on.

That thing is obviously a piece of junk but I'd be willing to make room for it if that would help ya out!!! [dr

BoB

4-2.jpg

I did start with a piece of junk. Sure mad at myself for letting that block crack. I remembered I have a .030 over 327 block in my pile o' engines. It has a sleeved cylinder so I better make sure it is good before transferring all the guts into it.

It was buried for so long I forgot that it is a pretty cool machine.

I'll try for Torquefest next spring. As long as I have to fix the engine, there's a number of other improvements I'll be making.

Tripper, I thought you were on the trail of a cool coupe? This thing is too close to the old Daytripper.

I've had two cracked 350s....in the same spot.
The last one I had for 8 years, and the repair was still holding when I sold the vehicle.

Just drain all the coolant out.
Grind a shallow grove right down the crack, a cut-off wheel works good.
Grind the around the area with a 36 grit flapper wheel.

Put a vacum on the cooling system....your moms Electolux will work fine.
Clean the whole area with some Berrymans B12 in the spray can, you should be able to see it sucked into the crack.

Once cleaned, slather on some properly mixed JB Weld (NOT Kwik Weld).
Apply a piece of masking tape over the repair (otherwise the JB Weld will run and drip away).
After about 2 or 3 minutes, you can turn off the vacum.

Let it set for at least 24 hours, then you can refill the cooling system.

I would do all the above except drill the end of the cracks with an 1/8" drill. that will keep it from cracking more. we JB welded a caddy 4.6 Northstar block at the dealer. (Settle down it was our rental car!) and it went 3 more years before someone crashed it. [cl

If you dont like the JB weld then do all the above and just weld the crack with a high Nickle rod. [;)

Was wondering if you could post more pixs of your car. Like the interior, back and a front if you already have some. I think it's too cool1 Later-John T.

tuba.jpg

As requested, here's a few shots from different angles.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions on repairing the block. I put the car back in the corner til fall because of higher priority hot rod building projects. I'll deal with the engine later.
tubb.jpg

19.jpg

Latest posts

Back