Cleaning question how many?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

How many of you tear absolutly everything down to clean and rebuild every single part of your cars as you build it or before you drive it?

Back story I have a Ford banjo rear end that I plan to use and decided I wanted to check the bearings and clean it up. Just debating if I should completely disassemble the pinion and bearings now. They roll nice no real play in the bearings at all, and the axle came out of a running/driving truck, and I have cleaned out the little bit of sludge that was in there, now not sure if I should check the bearings or not.

Cleanlyness is next to Godlyness

Or......Anal retentive, excessive compulsive....I've been call both..LOL...
I'd rather be safe than sorry......JMHO

I had to watch the motor on the dyno, I had to know what the inside of the transmission looked like, the rear end is about to be stripped down completely and I will be going back with new everything.

So yeah I have that problem with things also..[S

Rear ends are something that I rarely go inside of, they are good for a zillion miles usually and I have had good luck with just installing them as is. If I see a seal leaking or something like that then I would fix that part of it, of course.

Don

If I don't know the condition, I at least have it checked out if its something I don't have expertise in rebuilding, rear ends, etc...

Suspension components, I typically replace everything at the start, same with brakes, U-joints etc.

put some fresh seals and oil in it and let er rip! If you insist on rebuilding every part of the vehicle then why start with old stuff in the first place. Just buy new or rebuilt items and save yourself the time. there is a diference between "freshen and paint" than "rebuild completely". it is like the street rod guys that buy an origanl, clean low mileage 55 chevy truck. They strip it and get rid of the frame, motor, trans, rear end, suspension and replace the hood, all the fenders, tail gate and door because it is cheaper to replace than to bang dents. So what are they left with? a cab and bed sides! wouldn't it be better to buy a new cab to start with?! Sorry, rant over, carry on!

aaaaaaaa [S aaaaaaa [S
I rarely take one apart if there's no evidence something is wrong.
I always figured that was what short to medium shake down runs were for.
Oh yea and beer runs [ddd

Or......Anal retentive, excessive compulsive....I've been call both..

I resemble that... I have a need to know how everything works and looks. Reading it in a book or reading it usually isn't enough I need to see it for myself. Hence I have an 8BA in disassembly knowing I won't rebuild it for a year or so until I can afford it again...

When I drained the axle there was enough sludge in the axle I wanted to pop the tubes off and make sure nothing was really bad also wanted new seals in there.

As my Mom used to tell me "Nothings falling off, you're fine, now go play." I use the same theory on my vehicles. :D If I were that anal, I'd be building show cars, not rats.

(My family vehicles are a different story.)

Latest posts

Back