Clevis to Heim?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyT

I'm wanting to switch my rear radius rods with clevis's for a 4-bar set-up and retain the single mounting bracket on the axle. My question is, could I bolt up a heim to one side of the existing bracket without fear of failure or shearing to the bracket? The other end of the bar will be mounted through the 2x3 frame rail. The bracket on the axle is 3/8" thick and I would be using a 5/8" bolt.
I may be over analyzing things but I was just thinking how a clevis is mounted which is centered on the bracket and a heim in my case would be mounted to one side of the bracket. Anyone have any input on this?

As long as when you open the bolts hole up to 5/8 you have enough metal left around the bolt, you should be fine. Also be sure to use a safety washer on the heim.

Blurooster,
I guess Im getting old and scared also or I wouldn't have had any doubts in the first place. What would the difference be when mounting to one of those radius rod brackets attached to the frame?

Attachments

• radrod.jpg
    radrod.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 6
As long as when you open the bolts hole up to 5/8 you have enough metal left around the bolt, you should be fine. Also be sure to use a safety washer on the heim.

Ahhh....yah, safety washer! Looks like I have about 5/16th" material left after opening up the hole. Is there a minimum web thickness?

No difference, I have used those brackets, I just like to engineer my own stuff now and mount in double shear when I can. Tie rod ends on the front radius rods is a good example of single shear.

Latest posts

Back