coil overs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbandit

ihave some coil overs don't look as pretty as the did when i put them in service,m not as shiney and sparkley , question can you remove the coil over spring on the shock with out getting blowed up. i want to refurbish them shineyand sparkley. power coat would be cool. thanks robertbandit[cl

If it's a standard type coil-over such as the example below, yes you can easily remove the spring from the shock body without parts flying. Just unscrew the spring retainer at the bottom (after loosening the jam ring) and the spring should dislodge with minimal or no pressure, depending on the spring.

You have to be careful the powdercoating process doesn't weaken the springs. The 400 degree heat they use to bake them can take some of the temper out of them. We had the front spring in my Kids rpu powder coated and he is blaming that on the fact the spring flattened out when we put the weight of the car on it. Now we have to build him a new one.

It isn't an absolute that it will happen, just a possibility. I think coils would be more prone to the problem than leaves, so much thinner. Just a thought. Also, powder coating doesn't like to flex, it might start cracking off.

Don

just take them apart nearly the same as when you put them on, pull the shock shaft out all the way and either screw the jamb nut off or slide the cone off the top from around the shaft.

I would measure them with the shaft pushed in eye to eye set them the same when you put them back on so the ride hight will be the same.

Definately watch the heat around metal. It does crazy things to it. Shocks/Springs are the one thing you don't want giving out on you.

we have atv shock springs powder coated all the time,it works fine and doesnt seem to effect them at all

Latest posts

Back