Confused about a Hemi?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I've been looking at a Hemi a friend of mine has. He said it was a 331 Hemi. I saw the valve covers that said Red Ram. My question is would Red Ram (Dodge) valve covers fit on a Fire Power (Chrysler) motor. If not than this may be the Dodge 325 unless someone knows if they went up to a 331???

Is the Dodge 325 Hemi a good motor? I read something about they didn't come with a harmonic balancer and the crankshaft breaks easy... needing a probably expensive aftermarket harmonic balancer?

Ok so after doing some more research the valve covers he had specifically said " Super Red Ram" and according to the Hot Head catalog and Wikipedia that would narrow it down to a Dodge 270 Hemi.

Can anyone back me up on this or have know anything about the 270 Hemi and what kind of power it's capable of compared to the Chrysler 331 Hemi?

KD can you get the stamped number at the top front of the block? I'll tell you what it is if you do that. It's a sure way of positive ID.

The 270 Dodge won't make quite as much power as the bigger Chrysler, but the Dodge will fit better in most places.

Thanks Gastrick, I'll try to get out there in the next few days to get those numbers. Also, I was thinking I'm going to have to beef up the front end of the frame for a Hemi and the Dodge being the smallest might be the best idea.

So how about the Dodge 270 Hemi -vs- a sbc 350? I know compared to other Hemi's it's a little tamer, but I'm sure it will still tear away from a sbc.

Latest posts

Back