Converting a manual tranny to an automatic...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kain340

Hello all, i am sorta a newbie when it comes to engine/tranny technicalities, anyways i currently got a straight 6 outta a 48 ford from my uncle but was told it was set up for a manual tranny, however i can not drive a stick, was told that there may be a way to convert the motor to be set up for an automatic, was wondering if this was true and if so how or what is needed to do this? does it require a certain part i need or in worse case scenario will i need to do a complete engine swap? anyone and everyones help will be GREATLY appreciated..thanks

I would imagine there are swap kits to put something like a C 4 automatic behind that 6, I know they have them for the flathead v8 (flatomatic). But you are going to spend more money than it will be worth IMO.

Is it that you don't know how to drive a stick or some physical handicap? If it is just not knowing how you really need to learn, and it is not all that difficult. I notice you mention the engine only, not any car to go with it. Is that the case and are you thinking of putting that engine into some project?

Sometimes free is not so good. It can end up costing you way more than it should and create a lot of problems in the process.

Don

Yeah i have to drive with hand controls due to physical handicap. Yup no car yet, planning on building a rat rod as a winter project but i have to get more funds due to building a house. I had a feeling it would prolly cost me more than just than if i were to just do a complete engine/tranny swap, i guess ill just have to see just how much and then decide, i REALLY appreciate everyones advice, RRR members are the greatest!

If you have an emotional atachment to that engine, then by all means use it. If not, you can no doubt pick up a used engine/auto trans. combination from Craigslist for way less than it will cost to adapt an auto trans to your engine. That leaves more money for the rest of the build. Also, consider a whole donor car.

I really agree with Bob. There are so many cheap engines out there already set up for an automatic that turning that flat 6 into one wouldn't make a whole lot of sense (or cents :D) They were ok engines, but nothing spectacular, and you are dealing with a 62 year old motor that will need at least freshening up, and flatheads are expensive to rebuild and parts for that 6 might be hard to find.

The other thing is that, even if you can find a kit to mate the engine to an automatic, that transmission will suck a bunch of hp out of an already low hp motor. Just trying to keep you from getting in over your head in this project.

Don

I'd look for a later year motor/trans. You can still find a lot of cool 'newer' motors out there with a auto trans already on it.

that transmission will suck a bunch of hp out of an already low hp motor.
Don

That is a good point alot of people don't think about. An auto doesn't shift for free - robs hp in the form of hydraulic pumping and friction losses. A ford c4 takes about 30hp, so if you are starting with a 90hp motor...doesn't leave much for burning rubber. Interesting hp loss chart below...

Powerglide_____18 hp
TH-350________36 hp
TH-400________44 hp
Ford_C-6______55-60 hp
Ford_C-4______28 hp
Ford_FMX______25 hp
Chrysler_A904__25 hp
Chrysler_727___45 hp

Latest posts

Back