Corvair Steering Box Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5w30

Will an aluminum corvair steering box be safe on my 2300 lb model a coupe running a sbf thanks....

The aluminum Corvair box is popular with guy's that have 1,200-1,400 lb. T-buckets!
They were also made in steel, but I'd be leary of running one in anything over 1,800 lbs...

Don't care if it's steel or aluminum.
It's a Corvair.
No weight on the front of a corvair
Even on a T-Bucket, I wouldn't use 1.
Why would anybody use 1 , then throw a 6 to 700 lbs motor over the top of it and expect it too B safe.
Used them in the 60's and early 70's because we didn't know any better.
Too many other systems out there today
Read: Uni-Steer 1/2 rack

I think Don uses one on his T, you might check with him. I thought the new reverse corvair boxs are much stronger that original, but I have not used one so not sure on what and what not they should be used on.

While it is true the alumimum versions are a little on the light side for anything but the lightest cars (maybe 1500 pounds or less), the steel versions are actually quite good. There are only about a bazillion T buckets and other rods running them, and I can't ever remember hearing of one failure. The aluminum ones had the potential of cracking the case on a too heavy car, but guys loved to polish them and use them anyway.

We are running three Flaming River versions of the Corvair reversed box, one in my T, one in my Son Don's T, and one in Dan's 455 Olds powered 30 rpu. Dons and mine have been on the road for over a year and the boxes have been good. Don's is actually too easily steered for my tastes, almost like power steering, and mine is a little stiffer because of the fact I am using some steel bushings along the way and a U joint.

The only reason we went with new vs an original Corvair box is because the originals are getting tougher to find, and the cost is not too far off of a brand new Flaming River.................I just like new parts wherever possible.

Don

You could use a 64-72 mustang box or an old f-100 box. I've heard of corvair ones being used too, they can be retrofited to fit tri-5 chevs too.

Opps, I made a mistake. Its not the corvair but ChevyMonza manual boxes that retrofit to tri 5. Monza boxes have been put in some rods too.

this isn't a corvair but, on my model A, i used a chevy love truck box mounted under the frame like a mustang box. this allowed a drag link down the side of the frame and it worked perfectly.
if you have the room, you can use just about any box. it just takes a mounting plate.

Don't care if it's steel or aluminum.
Too many other systems out there today
Read: Uni-Steer 1/2 rack

Why on earth would you use a rack on a fenderless HOT ROD??

I have been running my aluminum Corvair box on the front of my truck for a year now. Still NO problems. I agree some of the others are probably safer but many people have been running these boxes for years with no problem.

Latest posts

Back