Could have lost my son tonight.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

My two sons and I went to the shop tonight to hang out and we threw some steaks on the grill. As we were eating , Dan got up and seemed to be acting odd. I looked at him and he motioned toward his throat, and I realized he was choking on a piece of steak ! :eek:

I put my arms around him from behind and started the Heimlick maneuver , but it wasn't working, so I really started to force my fists into his chest area until the steak flew out of his mouth. I just kept praying to God to help me, and he did. We were all shaking like a leaf and he was really shaken up by it.

We tossed the steaks into the garbage and couldn't eat another bite after that, because we realized how bad this could have really been. I am still shaken by it, and it is all we can talk about. You never think about this happening until it does, but someone was watching out for us tonight.

I feel like we have been given a new lease on life tonight and are so grateful.

Don

Glad the good lord was with yall tonite Don. I can't imagine the total fear that must have been going thru you and your sons.

I have a friend that lost a daughter during a steak dinner but no one knew what to do.. to this day it still haunts him and his wife.

Geez, that sends chills up my spine.
Count your blessings and hold your loved ones close.

Scary but great news on the "save" ...He's watching...

Good that he knew the universal sign and someone was there that recognized it. I had that happen to me one night at an ex girlfriends house. I gave the sign when I started to go out and she never caught on and she was a nurse. I expelled it myself by throwing myself at my CJ hood....last time I saw her also...[ddd

holy moly....
my uncle died exactly that way 15 yrs or so ago.... at a b-day party. That steak was stuck :( I`m so glad to hear you saved him. Life sure changes after such an event.... I know I actually started chewing my meat from that day on :p

This has been the only thing on my mind since last night, I am really freaked out. Here I was, seeing my son, possibly choking to death, right in front of me, and I felt so helpless. I was worried I was going to break some ribs or something, but I knew I had to keep trying.

I know that God was right there with us last night, and I certainly am grateful. I think Dan and I both have a different outlook on life after this happened. Dan is really shook, knowing last night could have turned out so different.

Don

So glad to hear things turned out for the best Don,
I think we all for the most part take life and blessings for granted....
life changing actions happen when we least expect it.....

Don - Glad it turned out for the good.

I had Heimlich done on me when I was young with a hot dog that was trying to kill me. A month after that I took a job that required annual CPR training. I was the star of the class ;)

About 5 years later I did the Heimlich on a toddler in a dept. store that was choking on a Nickel. Everyone was in shock/panic. I just did what needed to be done.

Poor little guy was turning blue. When the nickel pooped out he was like new in 3 breaths. I picked up the nickel gave it to his Mom and told her this is now your reminder keep it with you.

I understand how you Son felt. I think I can appreciate how you felt when your Son was back to normal.

Last edited:
Always scary, Its so important to know what to do in a situation. So many times just a little training and not panicking can save someone you love.

Glad to hear all is well Don. We never realize how fragile life is until we meet an obstacle face to face. It is good to know that you knew who was with you and that HE is the reason all went well. Give God the glory for having you there to use in this almost tragic event.

glad it worked out... its good that you didn't freeze up as lots of people do when faced with emergency and stepped up and did something about it.. your actions are to be commended [cl

Thanks guys for all the nice wishes and words. Oh, I DID panic, big time, but I just reacted and automatically grabbed him. I spoke to my other son Don today, and he said he couldn't sleep all night, thinking he could have lost his brother and best friend. Neither could I. I am still teary eyed, thinking about it.

We are now going to eat fish 7 days a week. :)

Don

Back