Country Misfits 49 Dodge Tk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man,this year is going by fast. I "ve been busy working on other things,so I had to put the Rat on hold for a while. I hope I can get back to work on it soon.Anyway,I wanted to ask y"all , what do y"all think about putting a carb on a tbi engine? I would like to use a 1990 gmc tk for parts. Some guys, I"ve talked to said ,it wont run right+some guys say the heads on that engine is junk.Im not looking for high performance ,but I want it to run good. What do y"all think?

Man,this year is going by fast. I "ve been busy working on other things,so I had to put the Rat on hold for a while. I hope I can get back to work on it soon.Anyway,I wanted to ask y"all , what do y"all think about putting a carb on a tbi engine? I would like to use a 1990 gmc tk for parts. Some guys, I"ve talked to said ,it wont run right+some guys say the heads on that engine is junk.Im not looking for high performance ,but I want it to run good. What do y"all think?

It will run fine, as long as you get the correct intake for your motor and a decent carb. I'm assuming the motor you have is a center bolt valve cover motor? I ran a 1997 truck motor in my camaro with a street dominator intake and a 750 edlebrock and it ran great! Lots of torque and good solid power. You will have to get a fuel pump with the appropriate pressure, but that's pretty easy. If I remember correctly the block that you have will not have provisions for a manual fuel pump, so you will have to use an electric one with 5-8 psi....

It should run fine but truthfully, GM TBI is a great fuel injection system that is easy to work with. You only need 5 sensors and a the harness which you have. There are several places you can buy a chip that will bypass the unneeded functions on the ECM and run the engine stand alone. The cold starting, diveability, and fuel economy really beats the the old carbs. I set one up on my sons 69 chevy truck and it was a nice system for a daily driver. Once it was set, we never had to mess with it again. This site has great info for TBI setups:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?10-GM-EFI-Systems&

Last edited:
Thax 4 the reply CC13. Good to hear from someone that has done it. I notice that your from Loudon Tn. I used to go to the Kimberly Clark plant a lot when I drove semi"s.

Thax for the reply Falconvan , I think your right,tbi is better,but Im going carb,just to make things simple.I got all the parts all ready.

Go for it

The reason no one likes the center bolt heads is because they usually need machine shop work to run giant cam.The area around valve is much bigger and spring may bind.
I always try to run the old style heads on my small blocks.
Just slot the rocker arms and run a giant cam with no problems.
However,with that being said.I have run mild cams with center bolt heads and they work great.
Just stick in HEI distributor ,get fuel pump and make adapter for a carb and you will be just fine.:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back