coupe value

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busman

Question for all of you. Someone wants to sell me a 33 plymouth 5 window coupe. It is just the main body, doors and decklid. There is quite a bit of rust through in the doors, trunk and around the windows. Quite a bit of hardware is missing. It is going to take a lot of work, but not impossible. He wants to sell it but wont give me a price. He wants me to make an offer. Just wanted to see what everyone thought a rough old coupe body was worth today.

Without pics it's hard to say but I would guess $1,000 to $2,500 depending on condition and how much of the window and door latch hardware is there.

When a guy won't give you a price it means one of two things, either he doesn't have a clue, which can be a good thing or he thinks it's worth a fortune. If it has a title it's worth more but make a low offer [$750?]..you can always go up but you can't come down..:D

I hate dealing with guys like that & typically won't. Look... just tell me how much you want... I'm not a mind reader!!! Passed on several cars because of that exact thing & they still have those cars too! Does he have the title?!

BoB

Ill try to post a pic this afternoon. I have tried to buy this car 3-4 times over the last 20 years and it was the same story: he was going to build it up someday. It is still sitting in the same place it was 20 years ago. However it has deteriorated considerably since I first saw it. He called me this time and said he wants to sell it because he is not going to get to it. My guess is he thinks its worth lots of money. I am pretty sure there is no title but pre 46 is not that big a deal in Kansas.

Me too, I hate it when someone says "make me an offer." It tells me he doesn't really want to sell, but if some fool offers him way too much he might consider it. I just heard a good response to the "make me an offer" thing. The guy said "So, you want me to be the buyer AND the seller too?"[cl

33-34 Plymouth coupes are very attractive.......IMO, maybe even more stylish than Fords of that era, and I love those Fords. As for value, it all depends on your area. I see guys picking up cars on these forums for $ 400 and here in Florida we might pay $ 2500 for the same car. Some guys are lucky enough to live in those rustfree, plentiful States out west where the prices are a lot less.

The rust you mention "around the windows" would be the deal breaker for me, those areas are hard to repair due to the curves, etc.

Don

When a guy won't give you a price it means one of two things, either he doesn't have a clue, which can be a good thing or he thinks it's worth a fortune. If it has a title it's worth more but make a low offer [$750?]..you can always go up but you can't come down..:D

3rd. reason ................ he's hoping YOU don't have a clue to it's value and you offer more than it's worth.

But I'm sure a '33 Plymouth 5w is not all that common, so it all depends on what you're willing to give for it.
There was a fellow at the chrome shop a couple weeks back with a '33 / '34 Plymouth grill and he'd be searching a long time to find one for his car.

Went and looked it over again.No titles. Door bottoms are gone. No door hardware and broken hinges. Needs rockers and needs patch panels in both front cab corners. Needs a rust through repair in the windshield pillar. The usual dents an dings. Some of the front body supports are thin or rotted through. The worst part of the coupe is the doors, there is just not much left of the lower 1/4. I have not been able to find door repair panels like is available for the fords. To get the coupe, I have to buy an old frame and a mid to late 30's 4 dr sedan also. Still no prices But if I want 1 I have to take them all.

Attachments

• coupe1.jpg
    coupe1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 50
  • mail.google.com.jpg
    mail.google.com.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 2010-04-23 11.19.54.jpg
    2010-04-23 11.19.54.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 43
  • coupe2.jpg
    coupe2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 37
hey chipper.. i posted a link to a build under the body Q&A (in thread reverse body work) where a guy took a truck cab and converted it to a coupe.. he did a fantastic job you should check that out..

Hmmm...

Just saw one like that one go for 3500.00 in Calif. BUT it was rust free.Parts for that coupe are nearly impossible to find and NEARLY impossible to buy because no one makes sheet metal for them.If you are a REAL great welder and a REALLY good fab man you can make it happen....Looks like a ton of work though.I just passed on a '31 chevy coupe because there isnt anyone making sheet metal parts for it.

Looks pretty decent to me.
And the 4dr. looks to be a slant back or is it a flat back.
I grab them both if the sellers is not money hungry.

I tell people who won't put a price on something and want me to make an offer "If I have to put a price on it, it is going to be a real low one". Recently I went through that whole dialog (I usually won't). they said they didn't know what they wanted so I offered 10 bucks. the response was "we couldn't take less than $200. I said "so why are you playing games then if you really do know how much you want" and walked off.
33 Ply. coupes are way cool, I had a 3 window once when I was a kid. But rare as heck and almost impossible to find any parts for.

Hey badrat... you got pictures of that 31 chevy.. i love those old chevys.. got to find me one.. once i finish the truck..

Latest posts

Back