Crazy Builds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a rough sketch I did a few years ago. It would take some cuttin', but could be a cool rod.
View attachment 20739

Thats pretty bad ass... Looks better than what I had in my head for my concept...

440, I'd tell ya but I don't remember... Deffinately chop the top on it and fill the body line in and sfbd the cab to match up with the bottom of the frame... I was having a creative streak when I looked at this thread last... doh!

I mean something like these. Although the Olds is just a side shot I had handy I photoshopped, that is not the quite the style body I'd prefer and I go further to get the fenders above the hood if possible (second pic is stock).

And the F100 is a real quick photo-hack - you can get the idea though.

Attachments

• OldsHDsec.jpg
    OldsHDsec.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 38
  • OldsST.jpg
    OldsST.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 21
  • bobtruck.jpg
    bobtruck.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 42
This is one of the better attempts at making a widebody into a roadster. Still didn't quite get it right as far as I'm concerned. Rear wheels in wells don't look right, the front suspension just ain't right exposed, color and tires/rims/wwalls just don't do it for me. It's good, but IMO, it could have been so much more.

The same problems you'll run into trying to cut up a S-10 into a roadster style rod. Proportion, that exposed front suspension, and proportion.

Attachments

• 6698_143849967147aa9371000ef.jpg
    6698_143849967147aa9371000ef.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 34
440, I'd tell ya but I don't remember... Deffinately chop the top on it and fill the body line in and sfbd the cab to match up with the bottom of the frame... I was having a creative streak when I looked at this thread last... doh!

Funny you would mention that. I passed on just such a cab earlier this year. Nah, I'm thinking of whacking the top completely off to make an RPU. It all depends on how I like it with the big engine, and whether I race it or not.

You did not notice that it is already channeled? And that it is not an S-10 frame at all?

440shorty

looks are deceiving

The cab now sits on a '78 Cutlass frame, which coincidentally is just the right width so that the frame fits up and in between the rocker panels of the S-10 cab. I had to cut the front mount pads off the cab so that the body would fit down on top of the frame rail and the frame rails up to the floorboards inside the rockers - a "natural" channel job! There is no room for rubber biscuit mounts, so the cab is lower than the car body was by about 3 inches, and a lot lower than the truck cab was on the truck frame, which was completely below the rocker panels. Plus, the car 4-link rear suspension rides lower than the leaf-sprung 1/2 ton truck one did, so once I get custom springs wound for the lighter weight that this rig is, the rear of the truck will be a lot lower too.

It was a flash of inspiration that so far has panned out pretty good.

440shorty

Latest posts

Back