Crazy Idea?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the kind of top I'm talking about. This appears to be a home-made snap top. I would have rear side windows though, and I would have more visible ribs.

Attachments

• Cloth top.jpg
    Cloth top.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 43
Here's a good 'sow's ear' that I think would look sweet with a chop. Turn that wrap-around back window into more of a mail slot or oval window, or small split window. '52 Chrysler.

This era of frumpy mopars can usually be had in good running, rust-free shape for about $3k. Much less if not running.

Take the visor and whitewalls off and I'd rock that bad boy just as it sits!:cool:

I'm hearing where you're going though, BI. The "Carson" or snap-down top as illustrated in the last post are both classics. Would be an excellent way to reveal the beautiful classic lines which are sometimes found hiding below a far too square roofline.;)

Just be sure to post when you start cutting.[;)[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Any more pics of this car?

Hi Bob, do you have any more pics of this car, i can't seem to get the attachment added to the PM i already sent you the other day. Thanks.

scan0007.jpg

I've been collecting junk to build something like this. Except the roof would be as you described, Big Irish. It will be a cabriolet style with roll up windows and a tan canvas top.

Looking sideways, another possibility is a framework covered with leather-grain ABS plastic. So you endup with a hardtop that looks like a softtop. More or less like the way a Bronco cab was done.

Now if you could unbolt the roof into panels that you keep in the bed, when the weather goes foul the open car turns into a closed cab.

Thanks for the idea Bob. I'll add it to teh list of backup options if it turns out my metal working isn't up to scratch. Plan A is all-metal with compound curves, Plan B is metal with few curves, Plan C is softtop, Plan D is glass-fibre or plastic and Plan E (the simplest of all) is no roof!

Here is an interesting looking custom top on a restored vintage car.

attachment.php

This is Charlies Car , he built it out of discarded junk, btw Charlie is 77, will you be as active at his age

I got the pic from a thread on the hamb, while it's not a rat it also isn't a rod but it is still a nice car I'd love to have.

The top is plain and simple and I'm considering making a removable top the same way the top on charlies car is made

Ever consider using the same process as an aircraft fabric covering. The newer polyester cloth is heat shrunk where cotton is shrunk with multiple coats of buyterate and then painted with buyterate.

Charlie did a great job on his RPU. Sniper, thanks for the tip. I've been reading about shrink fabric.

If anyone finds pics of the coupe pictured above, please post them.

Charlie did a great job on his RPU. Sniper, thanks for the tip. I've been reading about shrink fabric.

If anyone finds pics of the coupe pictured above, please post them.

That softtop of Charlies is nice. I like the clean simple lines. Still hoping to make mine in steel but thats just my personal preference (UK weather and security reasons playing a large part in my thinking) and is no way meant to disrespect the choices of others. I just realised that my previous post could be misinterpreted .....

Also, I just realised that I've kind of highjacked this thread. I'm new to this forum, so am still trying to figure out the etiquette!

steel roof

this is a little ot car but, i built this top to be covered in hartz top material to give it the look of a roadster top. it will be welded down and has roll up windows. i used 3/4 square tubibg to frame it and just tacked the sheet metal to it. with some thin padding it should look pretty good.
IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Yes, Gary, that is pretty much what I want the final product to look like. Thanks for the pics and the description.

Latest posts

Back