cross leaf spring on ifs thoughts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip-r-s

i am running a Toyota frame with ifs minus the torsion bars, what do you all think about a set up like this.... wanted to get some feed back before buying the parts

note: currently running a fairly light 4cyl but want your thoughts on running v8 on the same setup

all of the parts i am looking at are from speedway-motors

Attachments

• front thaught.jpg
    front thaught.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I know Corvettes did something similar on the rear for years interesting idea for the front. But wouldn't the steering components get in the way of the spring?

EZGO golf carts used that set up for awhile, from approx. 1980 to 2000. You could likely find something online that show how they went about it.

I put an old Opel front end in my Anglia in the 70's. It had IFS with a cross leaf. Also, I remember seeing a similar set up in the junkyard many years ago. Some 2WD Jeep-like chassis. So, it has been done.

front end

the vettes used a slip style (i think) monoleaf on the front too
basicly the spring is under everything mounted to the bottom of the lower arms of the ifs, so steering shouldn't be an issue

i am looking to no avail for picture(s) of an opal with cross spring same goes for the jeep(esk)

the basic idea i think is solid the three main conscerns i have are:
beefing up the/ building a new cross member to mount the spring

adding a 1/4" mounting plate to strengthen the lower ifs arm

and

whether or not the spring pivot is capable of being mounted vertically with all of the force pulling on the pivot's nut as opposed to pushing on the pivot its self

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Plain-Spring-Pivot,6970.html
is a link to the speedway pivot

Latest posts

Back