Curious about driving/titling/etc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

48junktruck

1st part of the story which leads to below: I have a newer Z28 I drive in the summer. A few days ago I get pulled over for no front license plate and then he notices the windshield has a chip in it. He gives me a warning for both and tells me I have 30 days to fix, send in the proof they were actaually fixed or he will issue the tickets. Whether he will or not I dont know. It got me to thinking: if I drove by this guy and he pulls me over for no front plate what would he have thought if I drove by in the 48 rat..................So im close to wrapping up my rat. My question is: On about 90% of the rats ive seen and mine is included in that, most would never pass a DOT inspection. Im not saying the cars arent safe because ive over built mine as im sure others have to. What im saying is by the book, if I get pulled over, johnny law would be there for along time writing me several gift certificates. Im willing to take that chance and again most others that drive these things are to.The story above prompted me to actually go and read the laws and to be honest theres alot more than I thought I would ever need on it to make it legal. Ive built many custom bikes and the DOT guy has been at my shop many times. He goes by the book and this thing would never pass. I do have a tilte and can go that route and wouldnt need the inspection but I really dont want the hassle or expense of getting pulled over everytime I want to drive this thing. Id just as soon get rid of it. Just curious what others think about this? Im in the state of Wisconsin for reference.

Im in NY, this state seems to be worse than most other states when it comes to inspections. Here the law goes "if it didnt have it when it was new, you dont need it" Which is all good and fine if the cop doesnt know what he/she is doing. Things like seatbelts, turn signals, marker lights, and exhaust go under this category.

Another law here is with "customs" and it states if you have an aftermarket frame the year of make is now the year of first registration. So say i build a 1934 Ford on a new frame and went to register it tommorrow. It would now be named a 2009 Custom. Say the motor was a 350 out of an '88 Chevy. They go by the year of the engine, and you need ALL of the pollution/emission controls the motor had on it when it left the factory. Also, this car now being registered as an '09 it will need ALL of the current safety features that any other '09 model car has. ie: side marker lights, 3rd brake light, turn signals, seat belts, 3 mirrors. And before they can assign you plates you will go through the DOT inspection, and must have all receipts on hand.

Here the best way to do it is have a title, or at the very least a VIN tag and a bill of sale. If you dont have one go online and buy some "historical documents"

So far, i've not been pulled over. But if i did get pulled over by a cop with a itchy pencil i would be screwed. A buddy of mine who is a staff sergant with the local sheriff dept. told me not to worry about anything. He said "its obvious that your on your way to a car show or something of than nature. As long as your not being stupid, you'll be fine"

Then again, theres the village of _________ police that will right you up for not tying your shoes. My wife got a ticket yesterday for going 18mph in a 15mph zone. I just avoid those stretches of road when i drive my rat.

In Tejas we can get a antique or use an original license plate for that year car & neither one require inspections. Tags are good for 5 years & slightly more than a regular 1 year tag. I have them on most of my cars except my driver.

BoB

Same here in Tennessee - No inspections. Most all cops around here like rat rods too. As a matter of fact I've never heard of a rat getting pulled over around here unless they were just being plain stupid with their car. We have a one time antique auto plate fee and its good for for as long as you own the car. A $37.00 fee and thats it! There are supposed to be some restrictions with it but they never if rarely enforce them.

Thunder

I have the tilte I just need to transfer to my name and get the plates. Going that route there is no inspection. I have every intention of driving it wherever I want. This wont deter me from driving it. Getting pulled over in my regular street car got me thinking about it. Its not the local boys its the state boys.

Memo to self: NEVER move to Wisconsin or New York!:) Wow, you guys have it tough up there, and I'm not talking about snow. Here in sunny Florida the cops are so busy trying to catch murderers and drug dealers they leave us rodders alone. :D

Years ago I was thinking about putting blue dots in my tail lights but told my Son I was afraid I would get stopped for them. He said "Dad, look at the rest of your hot rod, NOTHING on it is legal so what makes you think the tail lights would be a problem!" :D

Much has to do with the way you drive and your age. Being older I get thumbs up from police when they pull up next to me, but sometimes younger drivers are profiled a little I think.

And forget about moving to Florida, we're already too crowded. :)

Don

Here's a question......Say my ride is registered in Connecticut (no inspections, title not needed if over 30 years old--only a vin verification)...Say I decide to drive to Florida...I pass thru many states to get there...MR. GEORGIA STATE COP pulls me over for making a lane change without using a turn signal (because back in 1930..there were no turn signals on cars)..then he gives me a ticket for not wearing a seat belt....(there were no seat belts back in 1930 either!).....Now..my vehicle is LEGAL in CT...but not in GA even thou I have CT tags on it......

Can they ticket our cars like that? Maybe even inpound them???

My understanding is that yes, your car has to meet the laws of the State you are driving through, regardless of how legal it is at home. On the biker build off shows you notice the bikers carry helmets to make them legal in other States, even though States like Florida don't require them. They put them on when they hit one border and take them off at the next border.

Goofy I know, but I think that is the law.

Don

Im 100% certain there is much better way for an officer to spend his time than worrying about somebody guy in an antique truck. However, most are on an ego trip, ****ed that they arent you, couldnt build something if they tried and paid a very low wage for what they are doing. I just want to drive without a hassle. Ill make sure its done to the letter of the law or as close as I can get, carry that info with me and deal with it when it happens!

A quick example of the law on the books: frame cannot be lower than when a tire goes flat the frame comes in contact with the road. How many cops will know that one?

There is a legal term called "Reciprocity", it means that one state must recognize the legality of another states drivers license. Included in that recognition is the equipment laws of one state being different from another and the police allowing you to drive through their state even though your car doesn't comply with local law. The catch is your car must comply with the equipment laws of the state it is registered in. You can drive through Virginia and Ga. and not comply with our vehicle laws but you must be legal in Ct. Course how does the Va. trooper know if you're legal in Ct. He most likely will not ticket you in Va. BUT he could. Then you would have to come to court in Va. and prove that you are legal in CT. Case dismissed after the hassle. Behave when driving out of your state.
Back to the original thought of the thread. Virginia laws are similar to NY. Ther are 3 ways to register a hot rod in Va. Antique, reconstructed and specially constructed. Antique [rat rod] does not have be inspected but must have all the safety equipment that was originally on the vehicle for the year the car was built [titled]. Reconstructed and specially constructed vehicles must have all the safety and emmissions stuff required on new cars, and must be inspected yearly. Example, if a cop stops me at a sobriety check point and my 51 Ford truck doesn't have windshield wipers he can confiscate my tags, give me a ticket and I have to fix the truck, have it inspected by a state trooper, pay the fine and reapply for the antique tag. Big hassle, so I make sure my rod will pass inspection.

You guys are lucky. Up here in Ontario our laws state that if the car is modified, the title is null and void. Even if you swap out a 6 banger for a V8. We are lucky that most of the cops do not enforce these crazy laws, but I have heard some horror stories about over zelous cops sitting outside of car shows handing out tickets for this and that. Most of our laws passed are aimed at getting the old ones off the road. I've had many discussions with our DOT about titles, modifications and and general changes. A lot of the lawsare aimed at the rice rockets, lowering kits, etc, but it applies for all cars. I had a '51 Thames panel and when I tried to get a title, I was told several times to scrap it because it did not have a serial number. I sold it for parts. How's that for frustration.

Brian

My understanding is that yes, your car has to meet the laws of the State you are driving through, regardless of how legal it is at home. On the biker build off shows you notice the bikers carry helmets to make them legal in other States, even though States like Florida don't require them. They put them on when they hit one border and take them off at the next border.

Goofy I know, but I think that is the law.

Don

I don't know the legal terms but helmets are not classified as vehicle equipment so the helmet law doesn't apply to vehicle equipment reciprocity. Helmet laws are like gun laws, you must comply with different state law when transporting a gun through different states. Yeah..goofy

I got pulled over with mine in WI this past weekend leaving a car show. Trooper has a reputation for sitting outside shows & hammering people as they leave. Long story short, had to park it & get a trailer to haul it home & my registration & title is frozen. He informed me that ANY modifications to the body ,frame or engine swap voids the original title & deems it "home built" & must pass new vehicle inspection for the year it is being registered. He went on to add that he is sure that I will not undergo that expense so I can feel free to load it on a trailer any time it leaves my property & that it can never be on WI roads again!

What a dick

Supergoatsack, Man that sucks! Is your only option to sell it out of state?

In Washington we have a fair weather law (fenderless) but most cops don't know. I have printed out all of the codes for my 46 and keep them in the truck.

Don

Here most cops have NO clue what was factory or what's an add on (when it come to old rides)plus I run collectors plates which mean NO inspections!we also have
'horseless carriage' plates which means Back the hell off unless you know more than me-it's my car & I know what came on it & what didn't.alot of street rodders/rat rodders get a copy of the pre 75 or pre 45 laws just in case they get puller over to show Jonny Law,I know 1 guy who's been pulled over a crap load of times for not running a front plate {owns a 1940 Hudson} (2 plates here unless it's a horseless carriage)I would throw the stupid plate on it & be done!:mad:
I say get a copy of the laws pertaining to your state in regards to your auto! :cool: keep it handy for when you get pulled over & DO NOT GET COCKY! just know the laws better than the guys in blue! I own 2 vehicles that I have to keep up on what laws pertain to which ride [saves me a lot of tickets]
If you have worries -don't drive it,before it's up to code or DO NOT drive like an idiot & draw attention to you're self!:cool:

What I figured my truck was.
Street*modified vehicles

20 or more model years oldMay be modified from the original manufacturer's specifications.May still resemble the original year and make of the vehicle.Are more commonly known as "hot rods" or "street rods."

What the Trooper says it is.
Homemade*motorized vehicles

Homemade motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, may qualify for Hobbyist plates.The vehicle must have been constructed from new or used parts not originating from or resembling a previously manufactured motor vehicle.Homemade motorcycles that replicate a motorcycle 20 or more model years old.Application materials must include a bill of sale for all major parts used in the construction of the vehicle.If the vehicle qualifies, it must pass a safety and equipment inspection with the Wisconsin State Patrol.

Street Modified do not require a inspection, homemade does & must meet 2013 safety & emissions!

In Tejas we can get a antique or use an original license plate for that year car & neither one require inspections. Tags are good for 5 years & slightly more than a regular 1 year tag. I have them on most of my cars except my driver.

BoB

Still don't keep you from getting pulled over because 99% of the cops don't know this and think they need to see an inspection sticker so it's best to just get one and stay under the radar, for Texas that is. Inspection is good for 5 years too.

All of this is just more proof that it's good common sense to plan out a build to be compliant with your state BEFORE you drag home a pile of rusty iron. Best bet is to buy something that already has a title, a good title that's in the seller's name, not an old one that's been passed on with the car through numerous sellers.

I had a Model A title but no serial number on the car. Yeah, I could have just stamped it on somewhere and probably never had a problem but what if I get pulled over in an anal state like Colorado and get arrested for felonious tampering with serial numbers.
So I went through the procedure, explained the serial number was on the block which was long gone. It took a couple months but I got it done by being polite and compliant. Then I had to have the state troopers inspect my car and put the new VIN plate on. I was sweating bullets because I had no fenders, no wipers, no exhaust system. All he was concerned with was finding a good place to affix the crappy tin foil VIN plate. He also loved the car.

If you have to make it smog compliant for the year of engine, why pick a newish engine? Why wouldn't you get a 60s V8? They're not hard to find or even expensive. And all they had was a PCV, not even that before 63.

Latest posts

Back